Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Death Of A Romantic: 'The Well' mix
Hello,

I gave it a try.
Let me know what you think =) !

.mp3    The Well-001.mp3 --  (Download: 10.74 MB)

Mixing with a dt770 for now..
Hi Jim, your mix seems to have a heavy amount of low mid going on and it sounds on the muddy side. The guitars are good sounding, they just need some scooping around the 300 Hz area to clear them up a bit in the mix and keep them from messing with the kick and bass. The bass needs some distortion added to it to reinforce it and glue with the guitars, I generally like TSE Audio B.O.D for doing this and it's free https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD . Using the Bass Fx track as the high end for the Bass DI track also works, just high pass everything below 500 Hz and Low pass everything above 4.5 kHz, throw some limiting on that track to even it out, and blend to taste with the DI bass to gie the bass some drive in the mix. I would recommend re sampling the drums if you have access to your own samples, to get a clearer, more defined sound on them. Right now the kick sounds alright but could use some work in the low end, try boosting 60-70 Hz and scooping out the 100- 250 Hz range for some thump and to clear some muddiness up. The snare is too boxy sounding and needs more crack added, a high shelf boost at 6-7 kHz and a 2.5 kHz boost will make the snare cut through more.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hey Smile !

Thanks for your comment, it definitely helps !

I made another version trying to follow your advices, i'll make another one with other samples soon and try to fix some more things.

Take care !

.mp3    The Well-002.mp3 --  (Download: 10.74 MB)

I made a new mix of this song.

Let me know what you think Smile

.mp3    death of a romantic the well.mp3 --  (Download: 10.84 MB)