Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
THE APPREHENDED FIRST ATTEMPT
Here is my first attempt on 'Still Flyin' had a bit of a tricky time with the vocals and I haven't done any mastering hope you guys like it Smile

.m4a    Still Flyin 1.m4a --  (Download: 10.7 MB)

Hey, man.
Sounds like you got the general balancing down, and the vocals already sound pretty good.
That being said, here are some suggestions/observations:
- Like many mixes of this song, you left a lot of the very harsh top end frequencies in the bass track and it really clutters up the mix. I'm not saying "cut all the top end", keep the top end by all means, I love it when you can actually hear the bass guitar in a metal/rock mix. Just get rid of some of the annoying harshness
- The drums sound a bit one-dimensional. They're dry and somewhat dull and uninteresting. Use agressive slow attack compression for punch and don't be afraid to boost some top end.
- Raise the rhythm guitars a bit or boost the top end just enough for them to cut through. They get a little lost
- The screams are in the wrong place. Listen to the reference mix.
- A bit more reverb on the drums during the calm parts really makes these parts stand out
- Some of the "choir" vocals are a bit too loud. Especially those singing "good man" during the chorus
- The low pitch harmony vocals in the chorus are a bit off-pitch, so I'd lower them a tat. You could also use pitch-correction, but since I don't like pitch correction myself, I'm not going to recommend it.
- The samples you used on the drums are a bit on the "boring" side. They just sound mechanical. Maybe, instead of using them to completely replace the drums, why not use them for layering it'll give you more dynamics and make the whole thing sound a bit more natural.

That's all I noticed. Hope I could help you a little.
Have a nice day.