Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Still Flyin' mix
This is the first version of my mix of the song "still flyin"
The drums are almost entirely natural, I only layered a kick drum from the metal machinery SDX because the live kick sounded a bit like a wet steak that was missing some top end.
The snare is killing me. There is already a lot of automation for volume and top end boosts going on, to give it more presence in some parts, while "de-harshing" it in others, but it's still not perfect.
The solo guitars use BIAS pedal and amp with my own models. The sound is meant to be rather balanced on the frequency spectrum.
The rhythm guitars were a bit dull so I had to do a fair bit of top end boosting to get them to cut.
The bass guitar was really harsh, so I cut out some of the worst frequencies in the top end, while still leaving th "stringyness" of the sound.
I had less problems than others with the vocals, for some reason, although a lot of compression and automation was neccessary. I did not use any pitch correction, so everything that sounds like it's been autotuned, already sounds like that in the raw multitracks.
I made one little change to the arrangement of the song at the end of the "breakdown". Nothing special. Just soloed the vocals for a short period of time.
I did not "supercrush" the song in the mastering stage (because I don't like the sound), so it's a bit quieter than some of the other mixes.

Have fun, listening. Every bit of criticism helps, so don't hold back Smile

EDIT:
As pointed out to me, the screams were misaligned. That problem has now been fixed.
I also changed a few things. Lowered the bottom end a little and worked on the snare a bit.
I made the fatal mistake of not flipping the phase on the snare bottom track (I suck). That problem has now been fixed.
I also raised the vocals a bit and made them a tat less harsh.
And last but not least, I made a little "intro diddle" nothing special, just to make it a bit more interesting.

EDIT 2:
So I made a third version and improved a few things.
I tried balancing the mix a little better, especially the realations between the top end and the bottom end. Everything should now sound clearer.
The snare now sounds better
The vocals are a tat louder. They might be too loud now. Please let me know.
The intro now has a phasing effect on it, because I thought it sounded cool.
Worked just a bit on the dynamics of the song. These changes are very subtle.

.mp3    Still Flyin\' 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

.mp3    Still Flyin\'.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

.mp3    Still Flying (good, maybe).mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

I don't have the time to critique the mix right now but I did notice that some of the guitars and vocals are not in their proper spot. The guitar tracks 3-10 and the 4 scream vocals need to come forward a bit (if I'm remembering right). All by the same amount. Check the reference mix.
(26-01-2017, 06:23 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I don't have the time to critique the mix right now but I did notice that some of the guitars and vocals are not in their proper spot. The guitar tracks 3-10 and the 4 scream vocals need to come forward a bit (if I'm remembering right). All by the same amount. Check the reference mix.

Hey thanks, although I already dragged a lot of the elemnts around.
Maybe they're still not in the right place? I'll check the reference again.
Yeah, on a second listen the guitars seem right. Honestly that intro guitar never feels right to me but that's just the part.
The screams are definitely off though.
(26-01-2017, 07:12 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Yeah, on a second listen the guitars seem right. Honestly that intro guitar never feels right to me but that's just the part.
The screams are definitely off though.

Haha, yeah I agree. The screams do appear to be off.
I'm working on the updated version now.
The guitars in the intro really are just a tat weird, even in the reference.
Hey, there!

Overall, I would say that this is a pretty damn good mix. Though, there are a few things I would like to go about.

First of all, the vocals seem over-compressed. Don't be afraid to back off the compressor and go for some automation. To add to that, you should EQ them a bit different. The "airy"-ness on the top end is a little harsh.

On the drums, try to stay away from putting verb on the Kick and the Overheads. It makes it a bit less punchy, and the low end never sounds good in verb (on anything). Also, try to throw an EQ after the verb (assuming you're sending to the verb, not putting on the track, which it how it should be done) and pull the filters in a bit.

Feel free to check out my mix, though I know it is far from perfect and far from finished. I just haven't had any replies on it and I'd like to know what the community thinks of it.
(28-01-2017, 03:00 AM)carl98345 Wrote: Hey, there!

Overall, I would say that this is a pretty damn good mix. Though, there are a few things I would like to go about.

First of all, the vocals seem over-compressed. Don't be afraid to back off the compressor and go for some automation. To add to that, you should EQ them a bit different. The "airy"-ness on the top end is a little harsh.

On the drums, try to stay away from putting verb on the Kick and the Overheads. It makes it a bit less punchy, and the low end never sounds good in verb (on anything). Also, try to throw an EQ after the verb (assuming you're sending to the verb, not putting on the track, which it how it should be done) and pull the filters in a bit.

Feel free to check out my mix, though I know it is far from perfect and far from finished. I just haven't had any replies on it and I'd like to know what the community thinks of it.

Hey, thanks for the kind words and the feedback.
I'll make sure to work on my mix and see if I can fix some of the issues that you've pointed out.