Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Mix!
Please be honest!

I'm not sure if this is common practice but I rearranged some of it to what i thought fit the best. I felt like the fiddles were too much at the front with the subtle drums.. Smile And changed the break in toward the end to emphasis Dobro, Guitar, and Mando to break it up a little bit.

.mp3    Who I am Ryan G Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.28 MB)

.mp3    Who I Am Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.28 MB)

Is it really your first mix? Sounds quite goodSmile Soft and nice. Perfect balance of instruments, vocals sounds great. My first impression was like I was listening to Internet radio)) But... On the 2nd listening I noticed that something should be done with the snare to make it sound as good as the rest of the song. It doesn't quite fit..Maybe it's just my taste)

3rd listening: That dobro thing at 1:51 seems a bit loud.. Gentle automation may rescue..

And finally I think it needs a little low boost, about 2-3 dB at 75Hz on master bus and also some hi correction: 2-2.4 dB at 6.3K and then, the freq balance would be perfect too.

I hope it will help)
Thanks so much for the honest feedback! Yes its my first real mix.. I've done just a couple with just two or three tracks.. I've been following the "recording revolution" and using their techniques to go by! I've uploaded a second take taking your advice in mind.

(25-01-2017, 11:31 AM)Harder Wrote: Is it really your first mix? Sounds quite goodSmile Soft and nice. Perfect balance of instruments, vocals sounds great. My first impression was like I was listening to Internet radio)) But... On the 2nd listening I noticed that something should be done with the snare to make it sound as good as the rest of the song. It doesn't quite fit..Maybe it's just my taste)

3rd listening: That dobro thing at 1:51 seems a bit loud.. Gentle automation may rescue..

And finally I think it needs a little low boost, about 2-3 dB at 75Hz on master bus and also some hi correction: 2-2.4 dB at 6.3K and then, the freq balance would be perfect too.

I hope it will help)

Whoa! This is not exactly what I meant. Different approaches to eq - different results) It seems the song has lost its energy in v2. The low boost seems a bit 'overboosted', without strong low kick attack it doesn't work.. and have you decreased highs? I meant increase it a bit.. Anyway, don't listen to me, listen to you ears). Definitely the 1st mix sounds better than 2nd, except that dobro thing at 1:51 that you have treated well in version 2.

And still not sure about the snare, but again, it's very personal)) I almost always not sure about the snare sound.