Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apprehended - Still Flyin'
Hey, guys and gals!
I've never uploaded any mix I've done from here anywhere, but I decided to give it a stab this time, as this mix was very challenging. After listening to a few of your mixes, I thought it would be nice if you listened to mine and told me what you think!

I think I am missing an audio file, as the intro sound effect is not in the package I downloaded (If there is one). The track starts out with just a cymbal roll.

Enjoy!
Carl

P.S.
I mixed this entirely on headphones, so the stereo field may not be optimal if you're listening on monitors or really any forward speakers. I may make a few adjustments using monitors and upload another version. Thinking about it now, maybe that's what I should have done in the first place. Anyway, I hope you like it!

.m4a    The Apprehended - Still Flyin.m4a --  (Download: 5.09 MB)

Hi Carl,

Please listen to the reference mix supplied or even mixes uploaded by other users. Actually, I've seen that you HAVE listened to other mixes and commented so I'm surprised that you haven't noticed that all your lead guitars are not aligned correctly even straight away in the intro. I imagine that if you've not aligned the lead guitars then you also haven't aligned the scream vocals so listen out for that in other mixes too.

At around 1.27 or so there's a glitch in the vocals. Edit it out. There's a double for this section so you can get away with it through careful editing. Attention to detail like this matters.

Your bass is too flabby and too dominating and your drums are completely lost (probably because of the bass).

I'd suggest you go back to the mix, fix the alignment stuff and start working on your EQ decisions. Use professionally mixed songs from the same genre to understand what each of your instruments in your mix need to be sounding like and then use EQ to try and get there. If you are struggling with making these decisions, try limiting yourself to only making cuts rather than boosts. High passing each of your tracks correctly to start with can make a massive difference to your mix without anything else.

Cheers
-Vinay