Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone
Yo Dave,

You got the perfect "club" and "old school" sound you were looking for. I feel like I'm in NYC back in the 60's or 70's or something.....sounds great!!! The panning of the piano was the secret I think....never would have thought of it. THAT is thinking outside the box. :-)

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(21-10-2018, 12:58 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Yo Dave,

You got the perfect "club" and "old school" sound you were looking for. I feel like I'm in NYC back in the 60's or 70's or something.....sounds great!!! The panning of the piano was the secret I think....never would have thought of it. THAT is thinking outside the box. :-)

Tom

Thanks Tom. Not quite the accepted way to mix jazz this day and age, but I've always wanted to do try something like this just for fun, and fun it was.Big Grin

Cheers
Wow, this is fabulous, Dave - love it! I'm not familiar with the multitracks, but the sense of space you have going on here is fabulous. Really enjoyed this mate - the instruments sound alive and full. I can close my eyes and picture it. Sweet!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(22-10-2018, 12:52 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Wow, this is fabulous, Dave - love it! I'm not familiar with the multitracks, but the sense of space you have going on here is fabulous. Really enjoyed this mate - the instruments sound alive and full. I can close my eyes and picture it. Sweet!

WOW back at you, fHumbles! This means a lot coming from your good self. I have huge respect for your ability Andrew and your an invaluable asset to the CMT site. Thank you.

Dave
Hey Dave

Love it!! You balanced it really well, drums sound nice on the L and the piano sounds like he's up against the wall out away from the band, really cool. I think your experiment worked nicely.
Well done!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(26-10-2018, 11:21 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Dave

Love it!! You balanced it really well, drums sound nice on the L and the piano sounds like he's up against the wall out away from the band, really cool. I think your experiment worked nicely.
Well done!!

Cheers
KSmile

Thanks K. Old school I know. That's what happens when you still listen to too many records.Tongue
Love the panning and the space. Killer mix, I don't get why some people would take this as "wrong".

Iirc, Mike Patton's "Mondo Cane" has this kind of mindset (and panning) with a modern, yet a bit experimental, sound. Check it out!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Yo Dave! I don't know how many drum mics were on this session, but this how I like it for a tune like this. It's just a tad cleaner and more modern than a classic bebop recording, but still sharing that sound when drums feel like ONE instrument (there are people who like to think of drums as a collection of instruments and I'm sure there's a time for that, but not here, thanks).

The second brass part (alto sax?, maybe) sounds a little boxy and doesn't gel as well as the other horns, centered trombone? feeling especially good.

And the ambiance is right on spot (tempted to add some chattering and bar effects), Don Draper approves this mix!
(07-11-2018, 06:23 PM)Deliza Wrote: Yo Dave! I don't know how many drum mics were on this session, but this how I like it for a tune like this. It's just a tad cleaner and more modern than a classic bebop recording, but still sharing that sound when drums feel like ONE instrument (there are people who like to think of drums as a collection of instruments and I'm sure there's a time for that, but not here, thanks).

The second brass part (alto sax?, maybe) sounds a little boxy and doesn't gel as well as the other horns, centered trombone? feeling especially good.

And the ambiance is right on spot (tempted to add some chattering and bar effects), Don Draper approves this mix!

Thank you Deliza, Very encouraging. I've been working hard of late on my reverbs, hopefully, it's starting to pay off.

Kind regards Big Grin
Dave is as original as ever. I wouldn't have thought of such a panorama! Big Grin I was more conservative with this mix.
Nice mix! Oh, that's great!
Alexander