Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackie Greene 'Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind'
Hello all,

A new monitor mix!

I thought I would experiment with this one and try and clean it up and remove as much ambience sound as possible. I found a lot of the bleed quite difficult to deal with, particularly with the high frequencies of the drums and the bass guitar which I found phasing issues with almost all the mic'ed tracks. I also found that to get a level of consistency with the vocals required some heavy handed compression moves which exacerbated the bleed levels through this track to a level that required a compromise of sorts. Terrible swelling of the drum sounds were also becoming excessive between the vocal passages with these heavy compression levels present. I ended up opting for some frequency selective parallel compression to shore up the vocals along side some more gentle downwards compression. This proved to be my best and most natural sounding option here.

My biggest challenge with this mix was dealing with the bass guitar and drying and tightening it up to a level I was happy with. This involved high passing most of the mic'ed tracks to a level much higher than I would normally do and phase aligning these tracks to the bass track for the best consistency. I also tried to key it into the kick the best I could with eq.

What have I achieved? It's always going to be a compromise taking a mix down this path and fighting with some of the live elements that are naturally present in a recording like this. As I said, it was more of an experiment than anything else just to see how much I could dry this mix up. It's always a great exercise for me anyway, to play around with these live recording and experiment with different methods of processing and dealing with the pros and cons of each. A great exercise for making one "think outside the box" ITB.

I am playing around with some new monitors, lucky me!, so the tonal balance may be a little skewed. Hopefully not too much so. I think I'm pretty happy with where I've ended up with this one.

Thanks to Jackie Greene and the band, a killer song, well performed.

Thanks for listening,

Dave

.mp3    Don\'t Let The Devil Take Your Mind_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 15.29 MB)

Hi Dangerous

Wonderful
I will say it again
Wonderful
Wonderful
(29-04-2017, 08:25 PM)Yoshi Nishikawa Wrote: Hi Dangerous

Wonderful
I will say it again
Wonderful
Wonderful

Thank you Yoshi N. I'm so pleased you like it.Smile Listening back now I would probably up the drums a little and or add some extra weight to the snare perhaps. Otherwise I'm still pretty happy with how this one ended up.
Amazingly hot levels, Dave. Maybe a bit too hot. I'd like to be able to turn up your mix to climb inside it but it gets a too flat. While you got good sounds they can't breath. I keep wanting to hear more depth and dynamics. You don't have to be the hottest mix on the books.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Mitc,

I'm not sure what's happening here as I did it some time ago. I don't master any of the mixes I do. I usually add a limiter at the end that knocks of 1-2dB max. I will have to go back into the session and see what my processing was. I certainly don't ever set out to try and achieve "over the top" loudness, I never have. Basically my ears can't handle the intensity anyway.