Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The English Actor - AZmix
Okay, here's my take on this one.

My single biggest problem was the chorus vocals. I don't know how Mike fixed them but unless he got access to the raw tracks, he apparently has more Melodyne skill than I do. I fixed what I could and tried to hide the rest in reverb and delays but it didn't really work all that well. As usual, the chorus is cut-n-paste so the same errors exist in every copy and that makes it difficult to patch. It's been said before by others but I'll add my own voice: you'll get much better results (and my job will be that much easier) if you actually perform every instance of whatever instrument you're thinking of doing a paste job on. It also makes the tune feel less mechanical when there are natural performance variances present one time to the next.

Like Mike, I replaced the snare drum and ditched the "snare down" entirely. I thought the kick was okay but had to take out a lot of the high end. Once it got run through the reverb processor, it sounded okay but it got a lot better when I added a bit of a delay to it. (You can hear this clearly during the outro.)

Anyway, opinions are welcome.

.mp3    the-english-actor-mix-ltd.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

Old West Audio
Hi Wayne

Cool mix, I listened to it on the monitors and headphones. just a few things I hear
drums sound a bit over compressed, the toms kind of get lost, hard to tell the difference between each part of the drum kit.
On the chorus the snare sounds really good, but the 2 crunch rhythm guitars sound a bit thin.
Very nice placement on the synths.
My opinion would be to let the drums breathe more, a cut in the upper mids of the crunch guitars and maybe less effects overall.

Good Job!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Yeah, keeping the toms audible is a constant problem for me. They're very easy to lose (and often not miss.)
Listening to this again, I think could do with lowering 500Hz on the voice. Too much of a contrast when he enters.
I was trying to keep the weight as the song moved forward and think I overdid it.
Also sounds a bit muddy in the chorus.
Old West Audio