Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Wall of Death - Femme (Narciso's Mix)
Hey guys! This is my first mix here. I just started recording, mixing and mastering. This is my first try. Let me know what you all think.

I appreciate being here to learn from y'all. Thanks!

UPDATE

There's a new version of the song. Here you have the first and the last version of the mix. Down there you can find the other version for it.

.mp3    Wall of Death - Femme.mp3 --  (Download: 3.44 MB)

.mp3    Wall of Death - Femme (Narciso\'s Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 3.43 MB)

"Do what you love and you don't have to work a day."
I'm an amateur musician and producer, so don't take me too seriously.
Here you have my other mixes!
A bit too overcompressed. Way too loud. Back off a little bit on that.

Aside from that - there's too much going on on the high-end. Feels like cymbals, snare and guitars are fighting too hard for the sames frequencies.
If this is your first mix then it's remarkably good. I don't think it's overcompressed - this is death metal, not jazz or funk. It has to be loud and compressed like 99% of the records of this genre. If you check the dynamic range database and e.g. look for Amon Amarth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, At the Gates, Nile or Carcass, their stuff usually has a dynamic range of 6-7. The record Cannibal Corpse released in 2014 has a dynamic range of only 4 (!).

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?a...arth&album=

Of course the trick is not to squash the mix in a bad way and have the bus compressor pumping like crazy.

@mall of death: what monitors do you use? I ask because your mix sounds like it was mixed on consumer speakers and it's lacking bass & high end. That could be the reason why you think there is too much high end present in this mix.
(17-01-2017, 04:37 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: @mall of death: what monitors do you use? I ask because your mix sounds like it was mixed on consumer speakers and it's lacking bass & high end. That could be the reason why you think there is too much high end present in this mix.

Maybe it's just fatigue. I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-7505 and JBL LSR 305 for Monitors.
Thank you guys! I'm still trying to figure out that frequency and dynamics stuff, and all that. Hopefully I can get it right because I want to work mainly with that kind of music.
You should join nailthemix.com if you really want to know how to mix this stuff. It's 20 dollars per month but the amount of information you get for this kind of music is huge. You actually get the original tracks from bands like gojira, periphery, machine head and co. and you can watch the original mixer in a live session on youtube, ask him questions, see exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it and much more. I had several eye-opening moments since I´m a member of NTM
Thank you Blitz! I will see if I can join it as soon as possible. Thanks for the tips and I will try to do better next time.
Hey. I just finished mixing this song again! Let me know what you guys think!

.mp3    Wall Of Death - Femme.mp3 --  (Download: 3.43 MB)

I think I'm finaly happy with a mix of that song. So there's my final mix of it

.mp3    Wall of Death - Femme.mp3 --  (Download: 3.44 MB)

Hi !

I reply only for your final mix of the song.
Good balance and stereo ! Maybe the voice is a too much above the mi for me, but that's a choice !

What kind of compressor did you use for mastering ?
Seems to be an simple one, pretty slow, so there is pumping effects on the loudness and some fluctuating frequencies ! You should combinate multiband compressor and fast limiter.
Sound is quantum physic
https://www.josselinannepro.com/