Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Roots Of Mankind'
Hello,
Looking forward for more songsSmile
Dropping in my mix. Let me know what do you think.
Cheers

Edit.
Version mixlastever - experimented with some saturation on drums. Also saturated the toms and slighty rebalanced.
PS: the latest version is down below called FINALOWy Smile Cheers.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape - RootsOfMankind_Full mix2Over.mp3 --  (Download: 14.22 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape - RootsOfMankind_Full mixLastever.mp3 --  (Download: 14.23 MB)

Hello Lethan ,
Nice mix I like the overall balance and effects, and the top end of the snare is what I'm missing in my mix.
Maybe the vocals could come up a touch.
Can hear some challenges I tried to fix but I'm not there yet ,some resonant frequencies causing things to clash and compete for space for example at about 0.18 -0.20 the bass guitar and low frequencies of the electric guitar have a boing sound when the kick hits which I think mainly the bass guitar could be the culprit as in the verse is overpowering the vocals .
In the upper frequencies the electrics sound great on their own but could be masking the vocals just a touch around the 2-4k area.
Can upload a sample of your mix with some resonant frequencies tamed with a parametric to give an idea of what I'm hearing on my monitors which would be interesting if yourself and others can hear any difference but not perfect as my room and monitors also have frequency issues ,of course it's better to do any eqing of resonant frequencies before any compression or master limiting
Just some thoughts while having a little listen.
Well done

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for the listening,
I followed your suggestion and had a look on once pair of guitars for resonance and you were right, so i did some notiching (guitars 0:40).
I tried to pull up vocals, but it looked to much anyway so, perhaps some work on clarity would be better to my taste.
Another thing i tried is i put parallel Devastator2 multiband distortion on drum bus, it could be fun toy to play with, im going to dig it Smile
The same i did on toms, but perhaps i overuse it.
Yes please drop a sample. I would like to hear it.
Regards
Martin
Hi Lethan,

Overall I like the energy and drive your mix presents. I think you could use some extra automation moves throughout to help emphasize the climatic parts of the song and also with the balancing of the vocals throughout these parts also. Something I had to tweak after a few listens.

I can concur with Don on some of the resonate freqs. I can add that I think there is a resonance sourced from the bass @ around the 140hz area that is clouding the mix down low (drums, toms and to a lesser extent the guitars). I also feel the mix is a little too scooped a around the 1.3 -1.4khz in general and I found that a 1-3dB push here while listening was more comfortable as far as balance goes.

Anyway, well done and I hope this helps.

Dave
Hi version 2 sounds better ,
Cheers Big Grin

Thedon, thats great Smile,Actually after your comment i started diggin those resonances and it was a lot of them whats suprised me lol.
The second version has them a lot less, but perhaps few left. Ther was a lot of notching really Smile. Thanks for the video!

I think i have cut off those 140hz bass resonace freq.

My session can barelly playback, i have to bounce the groups in the mean time dropping last revision if i can say like that.

No automation yet, but will do after bouncing.

Thanks guys, that was very helpful.
Martin

.mp3    PerpetualEscape - RootsOfMankind_Full mixlastaaa.mp3 --  (Download: 13.73 MB)

Hi martin,
Listening to latest version on computer monitors at the moment sounds more balanced.

Cheers

Hi Lethan ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

I'm listening only the latest version.

It's very aggressive to my ears and very bright in general. I believe you can go easy on the hi ends to make the whole mix more balanced.
I really like some guitar tones, mainly the rhythm ones. I suggest you to edit the end of the guitar sections so we won't hear that buzz from the amp Smile
Voices are well glued !

Beside that brightness, I like your mix Smile
Hello Mandubien,
Thank you for your comment and sharing the recording. I'm really happy i could put my fingers on the nobs with this song. Smile

The brightness is a problem in every mix i do so i will have to look at this closer. I do not use referncing so hoply if i add this it will help to get better balance. Im ending with last revision. Its still bright but i put off the Master bus EQ and just small bit less brightness overall.

Cheers
Martin

.mp3    PerpetualEscape - RootsOfMankind_Full mix FINALOWY.mp3 --  (Download: 13.72 MB)

Actually referencing is very important if you don't have a very flat controlled room with few are no reflections at all. Referencing will allow you to understand how your monitors and room react together. So I would say you lack a lot of hi ends and you compensate to hear them.

With these recordings, my cymbals sound pretty harsh even before touching any EQ. I would recommend you to use a low pass filter pretty low, like 9-10 kHz if necessary (use reference track to listen where to place it). Same for the hats Wink