Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roots Of Mankind
Ahhh... holiday time, Kids are annoying me and the cricket's washed out. Time to mix a tune. I must admit that this genre is not "my cup of tea" when it comes to listening to music, but I do enjoy working with this style in the studio. Go figure... Besides there's no place for ignorance when it comes to mixing music.

Anyway, Great recording and arrangement. A well thought out song with lots of guitar parts that all key in nicely, complete with builds and releases, variety of textures, tones and dynamics that makes this one exciting to the end.

Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_RootsOfMankind Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.66 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_RootsOfMankind Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.66 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_RootsOfMankind Dangerous#3 SnareAdjust.mp3 --  (Download: 13.66 MB)

very nice mix.

the inconsistencies I found were
*Male vocals have less volume in the chorous in comparison with the female in the verses.
*Bottom mic in snare is too much and... it feels as if though they were not aligned well.. idk my ears could be wrong.
*lead guitars could use some delay and reverb work they feel to dry.

other than that balance is great.. you know your thing Wink
Awesome mix Dave. Love the vocals.
Hi Dave love the vibe of your mix,the only thing I miss really I a bit of depth on the main vocals that's probably just a taste thing, nice mix as always well done.
Hi Dangerous ! I'm PE's drummer, and original mixer of this song Wink

Overall it's a very nice mix ! I love my side snare which sound very punchy ! The main snare has a lot of bottom track. It give some crack to the sound but you loose a lot of punch. Don't hesitate to use some sample to enhance my main snare.

The kick is a bit undefined in the subs. Some low cut could help I guess, and you can add more 4-6 kHz to get more attack.

Great guitars ! They're pretty smooth and sit very well in the mix ! On the other hands, the bass is a but buried behind the other instruments. You can boost some hi mids (1.3-2 kHz) and add tons of distortion/grit to make it rock Smile

Cool mix really Smile
(28-12-2016, 03:34 AM)Shul Wrote: very nice mix.

the inconsistencies I found were
*Male vocals have less volume in the chorous in comparison with the female in the verses.
*Bottom mic in snare is too much and... it feels as if though they were not aligned well.. idk my ears could be wrong.
*lead guitars could use some delay and reverb work they feel to dry.

other than that balance is great.. you know your thing Wink

Thanks Shul, All good points and things to consider.

I was a little concerned with the vocal balance through out, so you have confirmed this for me. It's one thing to balance each section of the song in its own right, but it then needs to work as it moves forward into the adjacent parts of the song and the intensity changes that come with it.

Thanks again

(28-12-2016, 04:24 AM)LupoPazzo Wrote: Awesome mix Dave. Love the vocals.

Thanks for the praise, LupoPazzo. Very much appreciated.Big Grin

Dave
(28-12-2016, 10:51 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave love the vibe of your mix,the only thing I miss really I a bit of depth on the main vocals that's probably just a taste thing, nice mix as always well done.

Could be an issue, Cudjoe. I pushed the parallel thing pretty hard with the vox trying to keep it strong and out front, so the depth may have been overlooked in a sense. I will listen for it in the next couple of days, especially through the quieter verse sections.

Thanks
(28-12-2016, 12:31 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi Dangerous ! I'm PE's drummer, and original mixer of this song Wink

Overall it's a very nice mix ! I love my side snare which sound very punchy ! The main snare has a lot of bottom track. It give some crack to the sound but you loose a lot of punch. Don't hesitate to use some sample to enhance my main snare.

The kick is a bit undefined in the subs. Some low cut could help I guess, and you can add more 4-6 kHz to get more attack.

Great guitars ! They're pretty smooth and sit very well in the mix ! On the other hands, the bass is a but buried behind the other instruments. You can boost some hi mids (1.3-2 kHz) and add tons of distortion/grit to make it rock Smile

Cool mix really Smile

Thanks for dropping by and taking a listen. It's always great getting feedback from the artist.Big Grin I know this must be time consuming for you!

I'm super happy that you generally approve.Big Grin

Drums are a bit of a weakness of mine, so I will endeavour to make some improvements based on your thoughts. The same goes with the bass. I wasn't real sure as to how it should sound in this style of music, so I'll try and move it forward in the mix. Distortion I think will be the key.

Thanks again Mandubien. and thanks for the opportunity to mix your song.

Dave
(28-12-2016, 01:20 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Thanks for dropping by and taking a listen. It's always great getting feedback from the artist.Big Grin I know this must be time consuming for you!

I'm super happy that you generally approve.Big Grin

Drums are a bit of a weakness of mine, so I will endeavour to make some improvements based on your thoughts. The same goes with the bass. I wasn't real sure as to how it should sound in this style of music, so I'll try and move it forward in the mix. Distortion I think will be the key.

Thanks again Mandubien. and thanks for the opportunity to mix your song.

Dave

You're welcome Smile Yeah it takes me some time, and I still need to listen to other people work.

For the bass, I tried many things, what works best for me was an SVT bass amp sim with a large cut à 500 Hz, and a boost at 2 kHz. In front of that I use the grit pedal in Logic's pedalboard to give a nice distortion.