Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Perpetual Escape - 'Roots of Mankind' - Sonic Particle Studios
It might be your monitoring or the reference tracks you chose. What tracks are you using as a reference? If you don't use any, and if you are relying on your instinct for balancing, it might be your personal taste, hence balancing the song this way. (This sometimes happens to me also, I sometimes like the mix I did, but people would be quite critical about it, the reason is sometimes quite personal, sometimes it's monitoring, but I find that sometimes because of my exhausted ears that made me balance songs in slightly wrong way. (Reference tracks may help in this case quite massively. You can always know where to go.)

Nevertheless, I liked your mix.

Hi there ! I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer, and I mixed the original album.

As others noticed, the kick is wayyyyyyyyy (I mean, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p ) too loud ! It's so disturbing that I barely can focus on the rest.

I like the female vocal treatment. The guitars sound great as well, very in the way Greg (PE's guitarist) like them.
My snare drum is pretty tight. I guess some sample enhancement can help to make it sound bigger.

If your monitoring system can not be totally trust, you better reference like crazy. For our music, I would suggest some Creed or Alter Bridge materials.

Keep it up Smile
(27-12-2016, 04:44 PM)MixingInTheBedroom Wrote: It might be your monitoring or the reference tracks you chose. What tracks are you using as a reference? If you don't use any, and if you are relying on your instinct for balancing, it might be your personal taste, hence balancing the song this way. (This sometimes happens to me also, I sometimes like the mix I did, but people would be quite critical about it, the reason is sometimes quite personal, sometimes it's monitoring, but I find that sometimes because of my exhausted ears that made me balance songs in slightly wrong way. (Reference tracks may help in this case quite massively. You can always know where to go.)

Nevertheless, I liked your mix.

XP It's definitely my monitoring. My cans and buds don't give me as much low end information as I really need. Then again, I also didn't use references. XD So I'm guilty there. But as is, with a couple of extra ears on my mix, it seems that the biggest fouls are the super loud kick and the weak snare. I'll probably wait til I get back home to make more tweaks, lest I exhaust myself of the song. I've already made 3 revisions as is.

Appreciate you having a listen!
(27-12-2016, 11:47 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi there ! I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer, and I mixed the original album.

As others noticed, the kick is wayyyyyyyyy (I mean, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p ) too loud ! It's so disturbing that I barely can focus on the rest.

I like the female vocal treatment. The guitars sound great as well, very in the way Greg (PE's guitarist) like them.
My snare drum is pretty tight. I guess some sample enhancement can help to make it sound bigger.

If your monitoring system can not be totally trust, you better reference like crazy. For our music, I would suggest some Creed or Alter Bridge materials.

Keep it up Smile

Whahhh! I can't say enough how cool it is that the original mix engineer AND drummer took the time to listen to my mix! Thank you so much! With your input I guess I can definitely confirm that the kick is much much too far forward and the snare could use some tweaking.

I'll be sure to put your suggestions for references next to my mix when I get back home. ^_^

Thanks again!
Well, it's totally cool man Smile I like have other's feedback on my mix as well.

For this album, the first I really mixed from A to Z, I spent quite some times trying to get a strong drum sound. 7 months later, I'm still satisfied, even if I could get a better sound now. It could be interesting for me to remix this song entirely and see if I made any progress. But I won't, I must accept what I did, good and (bad) less good things.

More songs will come soon, and one which is gonna be a very high challenge !
OKAY! Finally back in my studio and made a couple of revisions. Off the bat I pulled the kick and bass back 3dB. Y'all were WAY right and the kick overpowered the mix intensely. Should have payed attention to my 2 bus waveform. The kick was obviously crazy loud in comparison to the snare spikes. I also panned the two side male vocals inward to 30%, but then automated them back out hard left and right for the whispery bits. I also brought the vocals up a bit more, de-essed them, and sent the lead female vocal out to a large plate. This will be my final revision. Any input would be awesome!

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Root of Mankind V5 (L).mp3 --  (Download: 13.74 MB)