Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Perpetual Escape - 'Roots of Mankind' - Sonic Particle Studios
Hey guys. Despite being on vacation I thought I'd try to snag a song and try to knock it out. I only had access to my studio headphones (Status OB-1s) and my Sony earbuds. So I have NO clue how they sound on monitors. Any feedback would be AWESOME.

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots of Mankind V3 (L).mp3 --  (Download: 13.7 MB)

Oop. Redo. Realized that a completely forgot the shaker and tambourine tracks, and thought the guitars were a bit muddy. Especially in the intro.

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Root of Mankind V4 (L).mp3 --  (Download: 13.74 MB)

Hi sp I feel that your mix is very 2 dimensional and dry, the balance is good ,background vocals are also very flat,keep at it.
You may have some sort of problem with you monitoring environment. It feels that kick is 10 dBs louder than snare. That might happen for example if your room cancels the low end and at the same time speakers are too bright.
(27-12-2016, 01:59 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi sp I feel that your mix is very 2 dimensional and dry, the balance is good ,background vocals are also very flat,keep at it.

Thanks for listening man!
(27-12-2016, 03:26 PM)Olli H Wrote: You may have some sort of problem with you monitoring environment. It feels that kick is 10 dBs louder than snare. That might happen for example if your room cancels the low end and at the same time speakers are too bright.

There was no factor of a monitoring issue as I mixed it solely on headphones. Do you mean to say that there's an ample amount of low end when the kick hits?
I think kick feels much too loud and prominent and at the same time the snare is a bit too shy. So I think they don't make a pair.

What headphones are you using? I use mainly Sennheiser HD600. With headphones it is more difficult to make the instrument balances right, because one can hear everything too well.
Sonic Particle, you have quite nice ideas in that mix but indeed it might be little too low heavy (Or highs are quite lacking, don't know.). Also make snare more powerful, bigger, punchier, use samples. I am not really into these genre but as far as I know, vocals should sound more energetic, aggressive, use parallel compression on vocals, (Like 1176 heavily).

I hope that might helpful. I am rather giving you a listener perspective.
(27-12-2016, 04:00 PM)Olli H Wrote: I think kick feels much too loud and prominent and at the same time the snare is a bit too shy. So I think they don't make a pair.

What headphones are you using? I use mainly Sennheiser HD600. With headphones it is more difficult to make the instrument balances right, because one can hear everything too well.

It's odd to me that y'all are saying that the snare is lacking. Mostly because I clipped it twice over, compressed it and made the level consistent with drum leveller. Can't deny that the kick may have a lot of bottom as I haven't been able to check it on speakers or anything that can show me what's going on in the low end. But I made sure to check on my headphones, and some buds and I trimmed back quite a bit of low end.

I'm using Status Audio OB-1s
(27-12-2016, 04:03 PM)MixingInTheBedroom Wrote: Sonic Particle, you have quite nice ideas in that mix but indeed it might be little too low heavy (Or highs are quite lacking, don't know.). Also make snare more powerful, bigger, punchier, use samples. I am not really into these genre but as far as I know, vocals should sound more energetic, aggressive, use parallel compression on vocals, (Like 1176 heavily).

I hope that might helpful. I am rather giving you a listener perspective.

I'm betting the low end is a bit much. Hopefully I can find an opportunity to playback on a system that can show me what's going on in the low end.

I actually liked the snare that came with the multitracks so I didn't thicken it or shape the tone a lot. Mostly EQed it to fit and compressed it enough to keep it in place.

The vocals I think are going to lack aggression more from how it was recorded more than how I treated them for the mix. As is, I compressed fairly aggressively with up to 7dB of gain reduction and EQed mildly.