Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much Too
Well this one took me back. Back to the days I was playing these kinds of charts. It will be a nice romp through the old memory banks.

Mix One - Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much

I took a very much hands off approach to this chart with this initial mix with very minor adjustments. These included fattening up the Bass against the drums, stereo buss compression on the horn section to give it some more pop and compression and EQ and room placement of the voice.
Mastering consisted of slight low end cleanup and level boosting. Simple and easy.

I hope the results are worth a listen and comment. There will most likely be many iterations of this production, many of which will be inspired by the other great mixes here. One of the things I do not enjoy is fixing timing. That should not be my job (or more actually, I suck at it...). Any suggestions along those lines or good resources for Melodyne would be appreciated.

Also, I must warn readers or listeners that I am an unfortunately ungifted Trombonist who enjoyed some successes in his youth as a player, so please forgive and understand my predilection for ripping 'bones ala Stan Kenton in the Dick Shearer days. Can anyone feel me?

Thanks.

Mix Two - Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much - Mix 2

Somewhere, Fred Flintstone is revving up the dinomobile...

The more I got into this chart, the more of a pig it became. But that's OK. I like pig. Some places took a lot of lipstick and I'm afraid there are some smudges. The vocalist, while having a pretty voice, is tiny and small compared to the big pig behind her and that makes laying the vocals almost pointless. You do the best you can with what ya got, right? The tenor trombone solo starts well but falls into disarray through the middle. Lots of lipstick needed. Unfortunately, I didn't have that right shade in my makeup kit. Again, I did the best I could.
Lots of cleanup using phase coherent M/S EQs on most of the stereo busses plus some envelope following compression on same. Nothing drastic, just a tamp down for better dynamics control which were automated extensively.

Mix Three - Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much - Mix 3

This mix is a result of relying more heavily on the room mics to define to balance of the mix. I did some compression and EQ of the room mics for clarification then brought up the section mics to match and enhance. The mix is more rounded without losing presence. I like the results. I hope you enjoy it too.

.mp3    Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

.mp3    Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much - Mix 2..mp3 --  (Download: 10 MB)

.mp3    Selwin Jazz - Much Too Much - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]