Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary Happiness
G'day,

Initially I thought of going for a Memphis sound, but with the big guitar sound that's present and the lack of an organ of sorts, it wasn't going to happen. So it's basically evolved into what it is without too much commercial guidance or influence.

Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    WIND_TemporaryHappinessDangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.76 MB)

.mp3    WIND_TemporaryHappinessDangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.76 MB)

.mp3    WIND_TemporaryHappinessDangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.76 MB)

Hi Dave nice mix I feel though that there is too much compression /limiting on your mixbuss.
It sounds good. The guitars are a little aggressive sounding for my taste. I'm starting to think that one guitar would be plenty for this one.

The only issue I have is that the solo is a little underwhelming. I think we've all neglected it. It's a pretty straight ahead solo that needs "something" to sell it some more. A delay or tone change or something.

Personally, the compression on the mix isn't bothering me at all. I think it works.

Good job.
(08-12-2016, 06:47 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave nice mix I feel though that there is too much compression /limiting on your mixbuss.

Thanks Cudjoe. I think I have to agree with you. I had my first listen with monitors this morning and it's definitely a bit aggressive in this regard. There's not much comp on the master, but I think it's the parallel comp buses throughout the mix that I've pushed too hard. I have relaxed things a little in mix #2.

Thanks for your ears and observations.

(08-12-2016, 07:17 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds good. The guitars are a little aggressive sounding for my taste. I'm starting to think that one guitar would be plenty for this one.

The only issue I have is that the solo is a little underwhelming. I think we've all neglected it. It's a pretty straight ahead solo that needs "something" to sell it some more. A delay or tone change or something.

Personally, the compression on the mix isn't bothering me at all. I think it works.

Good job.

I have to agree with the guitars, and listening "the morning after" they are certainly overpowering especially through the verses. I have toned them back in mix #2. I have also brought the solo forward also.

I also agree that one guitar part could have been enough for this song, but without a complementary part in the arrangement (A keyed part would have been nice) it's hard for me not to arrange them this way. I tried using one guitar part panned centre on axis with the vocal but the competition for sonic space was too great and difficult to make one shine without pushing the other back. It's all part of the fun I guess.

Thanks for your time and observations, greatly appreciated.

Dave
I listend the version 2. I like the way it is almost distorting. Sound is a bit dirty, but it suits this theme "temporary happiness". Well balanced mix with suitable attitude.

Only thing that bothers is tamborine in the right. It has a different neat space than rest of the mix. Listen the opening with headphones. The moment the band comes in you'll hear how it had different attitude and space than others. Maybe just put it to center and that's it.

ANd check the fast part around 4:00. THe groove is not optimal anymore there. It's a bit messy there. Maybe some well chosen automation to put up those who keep the beat, and put down those who mainly disturp the beat.
Hi Dave v2 alot better my only concern is the tamborine as Olli H pointed out,good mix.
Personally, I kinda like the hard panned tambourine. I like it as a counterbalance to the ride in the choruses. But I would pull it back and maybe darken it a bit. It gets in the way of the solo a bit.
Dave: Excellent spread of the BGVs. I love the snap on the snare and the spread of the horn section. When the song arrives at 1:26 to the first chorus, the guitars and horn section masks together. I think the trombones and sax are in the same frequency range of the guitars. I will say to scoop the guitars out 3db on 220Hz wit h a Q of 2.5 or 3 and you will get some space for the lead vocal and the horns once they enter in the arrangement. Try it and let me know if it works for you. Cheers
(09-12-2016, 03:51 PM)Olli H Wrote: I listend the version 2. I like the way it is almost distorting. Sound is a bit dirty, but it suits this theme "temporary happiness". Well balanced mix with suitable attitude.

Only thing that bothers is tamborine in the right. It has a different neat space than rest of the mix. Listen the opening with headphones. The moment the band comes in you'll hear how it had different attitude and space than others. Maybe just put it to center and that's it.

ANd check the fast part around 4:00. THe groove is not optimal anymore there. It's a bit messy there. Maybe some well chosen automation to put up those who keep the beat, and put down those who mainly disturp the beat.

Thanks Olli,

My selective hearing tends to turn down the tamborine automatically within a minute or two into mixing the song. It's certainly over powering. will have to pull it back.

I will have to experiment with the ending part. I'm not sure how to attack this, there's not too many elements at play here, although it's certainly a busy passage of the song with a lot going on.