Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arto mix
This song wasn't what I expected in the Jazz genre, since it's almost all percussion. Once I found the groove (I added a drum track for my own use, not included in this mix), those folks are burning it. Great combination of sounds that I wanted to give some punch. I added just a touch of distortion with Melda's MWaveshaper plug-in which helped a lot.
Best experienced with headphones, which is how I mixed it. Enjoy and critique.

.mp3    Arto.mp3 --  (Download: 4.66 MB)

Hi Smile

Your mix is much more conservative and indirect than what I heard so far. This isn't per se bad, but since it's all about the percussion in this song, it should stand out a little more.

I noticed that your mix is too wide in the stereo panorama. Imagine a stage in front of you where the musicians play. If the instruments are totally left or right in the panorama, it is like they are playing next to you and not on the stage where they are supposed to be.

Another problem (which seems to be an usual issue with this song Big Grin) is the drone sound. At first I thought it's nicely integrated but after a few seconds it began to annoy me especially because it's not balanced in the stereo field. You could use some effects and/or automation.

Keep up the work!
(08-12-2016, 03:53 PM)Antihydrant Wrote: Hi Smile

Your mix is much more conservative and indirect than what I heard so far. This isn't per se bad, but since it's all about the percussion in this song, it should stand out a little more.

I noticed that your mix is too wide in the stereo panorama. Imagine a stage in front of you where the musicians play. If the instruments are totally left or right in the panorama, it is like they are playing next to you and not on the stage where they are supposed to be.

Another problem (which seems to be an usual issue with this song Big Grin) is the drone sound. At first I thought it's nicely integrated but after a few seconds it began to annoy me especially because it's not balanced in the stereo field. You could use some effects and/or automation.

Keep up the work!

Thank you for your input, Antihydrant.

I've heard two distinct listener perspectives: the first is the one you mention where the band is on stage and you're in the audience some distance away, which somewhat limits the stereo field possibilities.
The second is that you're sitting in a chair right in the midst of the band while they perform. This is more intimate and lends itself to a wider stereo field, IMO. It's also used quite a bit in rock mixes and some audiophile jazz recordings.
I used a wide field primarily to complement the panning used for the special effects synth track, as I didn't want it out there all by itself.
As for the main drone track, I used Bass Professor Mk II from the Reaper Pack on it and had to experiment with the phase. I may go back and do something else with it later on. Like the drum track I added for my own use, I also created a Mini-Moog-like track using a sawtooth waveform as the sound (also not heard here), but there wasn't much difference in the sound.
Again, thank you for your critique and also to Mike for his generosity in teaching us all how to become better mixers. And the band for lending us their work to experiment upon.

Cheers,
Mr. Groove
i like the natural sound of your mix!