Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flyin Mix from hell
Well,if you are looking for a challenging mix this is the one.

I think the only thing that didn't need much work where the guitars. The drums ,vocals, bass an guitar lead parts i ran into a lot of problems with.
But, i used everything except for the kick which i replaced.
Anyways,
Thanks for the listen and time.
------------------------------------------------------------
Update mix v2.

I went through and adjusted the Gt, bass and drums. I added Ad snare sound think I need to find some samples tho. The GT and bass did some EQ adjustment also added max bass
too fill out the low end .
-----------------------------------------------------------
Update Mix V3

The Apprehended still flyin - V3

1. Changed that damn snare. I used Addictive drums also some eqing .
2. Fixed the screams that were in the wrong spot forgot in v2 mix.
3. Adjusted the gt, bass and drums some(EQ, compression etc..)
4. Tried some different verbs.
Thanks for the listen ,if you have time leave a comment..

.mp3    Apprehended\'s \'Still Flyin\'1 Mix Jerze.mp3 --  (Download: 10.41 MB)

.mp3    Apprehended\'s \'Still Flyin , V,2 Mix By Jerze.mp3 --  (Download: 10.4 MB)

.mp3    Apprehended\'s \'Still FlyinV3,Mix By Jerze.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Hello

some observations
*Bass lacks presence making your mix a bit thin
*Guitar tones are good though by the end of the song my ear is a bit tired.
*Snare has is very dry you should use more reverb. Also there is a rather odd resonating freq. in it.
*At 2:43 there is a vocal that is chopped off. I think you tried to automate the volume to raise but it's late on it.

Overall is not bad at all.. just pay more attention to detail.

Here is an example of a good post hardcore song so you can check all the processing (reverb and compression)
Use limiters on your mix so you can get a tighter sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RKaRgVFKk

keep it up
Quote:some observations
*Bass lacks presence making your mix a bit thin
*Guitar tones are good though by the end of the song my ear is a bit tired.
*Snare has is very dry you should use more reverb. Also there is a rather odd resonating freq. in it.
*At 2:43 there is a vocal that is chopped off. I think you tried to automate the volume to raise but it's late on it.

Overall is not bad at all.. just pay more attention to detail.

Thanks for the post.
I will go back and look at the guitars I also got the same feeling about the ending guitar sound as i was mixing .

As for the bass I just struggled to get it to set in the mix but, will take a look at some of my eq choices.

And as far as the attention to detail i just felt i had enough time vested but, you are rt tho.So i will go back and tighten some things up.

Also thanks for the video, it will help, I didn't use a reference track just mixed it how i felt it should sound .
You haven't used a ref mix, have you? Smile Snare is the number 1 thing that came to my mind. It's the wrong snare for this genre Smile
(09-12-2016, 01:08 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: You haven't used a ref mix, have you? Smile Snare is the number 1 thing that came to my mind. I sounds wrong Smile

Hello Blitzz

I didn't think the snare was that bad but, both of you mentioned it. so is your thoughts the same as Shul or do you have other thoughts' on the snare
and or anything else in the mix. I plan on going back and making some adjustments so if you or Shul have any other thoughts let me know. Thanks
I do usually use reference mixes but, not this time lessen learned.

It's that kind of snare sample that i would use to beef up a brighter snare, but i wouldn't use it on it's own for this kind of music. I´m also really missing some space; the snare sounds way too dry. Try to add a brighter snare sample and a separate snare room reverb. If you have trigger and the slate platinum samples, add the room mic of snare 13 (and ONLY the room mic). Use EQ to cut the bottom and blend in until the snare sounds brighter. Maybe thats enough, maybe you have to add a brighter snare sample on top of that. Maybe you have to get rid of your old sample completely. Just do whatever the song needs.

As Shul said there is also a very strange resonance in your snare sample - sounds like "thuuuuump", but not in a good and thumpy way (aka 200-hz-beefy-thump), but more like a muddy 300-400ish thump.

the screams and clean guitars are totally not in the right place. Just imagine you are the leader of this band and the guy you have hired for mixing didn't bother to listen to your demo before he started mixing. I would be extremely pissed. That's why you should always use ref mixes and/or pre prod demos if the band provides them ... now back to mixing Gojira Smile
New mix V,2 in op.
I went through and adjusted the Gt, bass and drums. I added Ad snare sound think I need to find some samples tho. The GT and bass did some EQ adjustment also added max bass
too fill out the low end .

I did use reference tracks ,but I'm not sure I hit the mark tho. Anyways the new mix V2 in OP.

Quote:It's that kind of snare sample that i would use to beef up a brighter snare, but i wouldn't use it on it's own for this kind of music. I´m also really missing some space; the snare sounds way too dry. Try to add a brighter snare sample and a separate snare room reverb. If you have trigger and the slate platinum samples, add the room mic of snare 13 (and ONLY the room mic). Use EQ to cut the bottom and blend in until the snare sounds brighter. Maybe thats enough, maybe you have to add a brighter snare sample on top of that. Maybe you have to get rid of your old sample completely. Just do whatever the song needs.

Thanks for the listen. I didn't use a sample on the first mix just gated it and processed it that's probably way it sounded weird. I also will try some of the thing you mentioned about using samples.

I also tried to add some more verb on the second mix,but i think i need
to spend more time with them.
The Apprehended still flyin - V3 OP
This is one of those mixes that I will have to come back and try again,but had to try one more ,hope it's getting better?
1. Changed that damn snare. I used Addictive drums also some eqing .
2. Fixed the screams that were in the wrong spot forgot in v2 mix.
3. Adjusted the gt, bass and drums some(EQ, compression etc..)
4. Tried some different verbs.
Thanks for the listen ,if you have time leave a comment..
Hey Jerze, I've had a listen to your latest mix. Here's my thoughts:
1. The guitars sound like they are sitting well. Some of the leads pop out a bit too much, but pretty minor.
2. The kick tone is nice, but needs a bit more polish and sparkle.
3. The snare is not working for me. I think Blitzz comments above sum it up well.
4. Vocals are ok, need some more top and a bit more separation.

I've just uploaded version 2 on my mix also. Cheers, Mick.