Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunning Kruger Endance hanek mix
Hi everybody, this is my first share here so far.
I tried to mix as raw as possible keeping the original vibe in place, i currently don't have access to proper environment to check the sounding, will appreciate any criticism.

.mp3    Dunning_Kruger_enDance.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

There are a few things that seem a bit out with your balance here. The first is that huge amount of subbass on the kick -- it's generating a real draught from my subwoofer, I can tell you! Smile In a track as fast as this, I can't see that so much sub really helps the objective, because it makes the kick feel rather flappy and flabby, where it feels to me that it should be tight. On the positive side, though, you've got enough going on further up the kick spectrum that it shouldn't be a huge disaster if you tamed the subs -- the kick'll still make an impression. The bass also comes across nicely on small speakers, which is great for this track -- although maybe it could be a bit more consistent in level, especially in the verses, where it seems to come and go a bit.

Your effects are a bit too reliant on reverb splash to me, I think. This is distancing the verse texture too much for me, and then clouding the less stripped-back pre-chorus and chorus sections. You're also robbing yourself of some opportunities for effects contrasts between sections, such as at the reintro at 1:12.

And are the crash cymbals a bit too heavy on the 5kHz too? A narrow notch there seems to usefully smooth that out over the whole mix for me.