Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary Happiness Mixed by Doug
(04-12-2016, 04:40 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: But, to be fair, that's not necessarily an issue with mono compatibility. It'd be the same issue with mono overheads.

In the end I totally agree with you that getting drum mics in phase is the ideal situation but also there is nothing wrong with looking for a sound and flipping the phase of a mic and seeing what works best or different. What I'm really talking about isn't a drastic relationship between mics.

(part of what kills the snare in this one is the bottom mic being out of phase with the top mic.)

When I mix drums, most of my sound comes from my overheads and room mic, I just use the close mics for the attack. Cutting low end in my overheads makes the close mics seem naked because the sound of the kit in the room only exists for frequencies above the high pass filter, that's what I mean when by killing the snare. I didn't really use the bottom snare too much on this track (only enough to give a bit of high end to the snare). Yes using phase to get thinner sounds can work, but in my experiences it's very hit or miss and alot of times not worth the time. If it's out of phase, correct it, it saves alot of guess work in the long run.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6