Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind (CRMC Mix)
Haven't done a mix in awhile and this song tickled my fancy.

I thought I did fairly well tbh.

As always, feedback is welcome and much appreciated

Callum

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Roots Of Mankind (WIP 1).mp3 --  (Download: 13.58 MB)

wow! love this mix. rhythm guitars are kinda muddy and buried in the background (or is it the bass?) but hell yeah, had a good time while listening. and that's more important than making a snare 3 db louder or quieter. but okay, stuff that i noticed: the drums could be louder to make the song a little bit more aggressive. the solo shouldn't be that fizzy (give the guitar more mids, there is enough space). the megaphone voice is too loud. and you did some strange panning decisions, right? are the rhythm guitars the panned 50% to the right?
(02-12-2016, 11:48 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: wow! love this mix. rhythm guitars are kinda muddy and buried in the background (or is it the bass?) but hell yeah, had a good time while listening. and that's more important than making a snare 3 db louder or quieter. but okay, stuff that i noticed: the drums could be louder to make the song a little bit more aggressive. the solo shouldn't be that fizzy (give the guitar more mids, there is enough space). the megaphone voice is too loud. and you did some strange panning decisions, right? are the rhythm guitars the panned 50% to the right?

Hi Blitzzz

Cheers for the reply!

Am usual heavy handed with the rhythm section so that will be why the drums as low and its mostly like why the bass that hiding in the background, thanks for picking up on that.

I went for a fizzy solo sound since its different to what you expect and I'm not a big fan of sticking to conventions, plus I felt it went well with dark vibe of them song (and I was listening to some music just before that had fizzy guitars, so it was probably an unconscious decision, lol), but again thank you for your input.

Finally I'm a LCR mixer, so there isn't anything thats isn't panned LCR, I bussed a lot of the guitars into groups and just went from there, I really really reeeeeeeeallllllly couldn't be bothered sieving through that many guitars to decide where to go or what to do with them, since they weren't labeled what type of guitar they were (rhythm, solo, harmonies etc) so there might be some odd decisions, naturally.

Glad you liked the mix, I'll probably have a revision up tomorrow!

Cheers
Callum
on the verses, the bass overtone is overpowering the whole mix.
Hi Callum ! I'm the drummer of Perpetual Escape.

Thank you for mixing this song Smile
Here's my feedback for your mix :

- Pros : I really like the vocals treatment. They stand out of the mix, love the distortion on the pre chorus, and there is no too much FX on them. I like the lofi FX on the bridge, it brings things down a little bit, so the outro is very powerful.
You also tried to be creative using reverbs and FX here and there. I like your toms, they fit well. The bass has a nice upper mid attack so it pops out nicely.

- Cons : your mix is very disconnected. There is too much obvious variations of volume everywhere. It should be more subtle, almost non perceptible. You've been creative with FX, but here again it's too much obvious, and it should be brought in a more subtle way.
The volume mix is not balanced. The instruments are too much behind the vocals, which should be just a tad in front of the rest for this kind of music. The bass is too loud and totally masks the kick. You should decide which of the two will drive the subs and set a high pass filter on the other a bit higher, so they don't fight each other.

My main advice would be to start with a very well balanced static mix and to reference it with a pro mix. So you will be able to compare your mix in terms of volume.

Keep it up !

Hello

Here is what stands out to me

*Mix is too bright overall or just some importan mids were carved out
*Balance needs more work in the vocals they are too loud vs too low here and there and is very distracting.
*I agree the drums are missing especially after the drop down part but I get what you tried to do.

keep it up it's getting there.