Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone
Here is my mix of this excellent Jazz Combo. I tried to give it a vintage feel and I hope I succeeded. Hope you like it.
Peace!!

.mp3    All The Gin Is Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 5.18 MB)

Luis Domingo Diaz
Cell (847) 951-5620
[email protected]
www.luisdiazmusic.com
Interesting panning choices which open the piece to new feel and environment. Nicely done. Can you discuss your choices?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This is a new mix. after listening to the previous mix I was not satisfied with the balanced and the tone was a bit too sharp. I think that I was able to addressed those issues and give the mix a little bit more warmth. I also did not mastered, instead I applied a small amount of limiting to the master bus.

.mp3    All The Gin Is Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

Luis Domingo Diaz
Cell (847) 951-5620
[email protected]
www.luisdiazmusic.com
(02-12-2016, 04:59 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Interesting panning choices which open the piece to new feel and environment. Nicely done. Can you discuss your choices?

Hello Mixinthecloud. Thank you for your comment, as far as the panning basically the Piano at 60% left and right and the horns Trombone on the left at 40%, Trumpet center and Sax at 40% on the right. The Drums I spread the overheads just a bit to get them out of the way, Kick and Snare center, H Hat about 15 to the right to match what was on the overheads and the Toms I divided about 70 Right and Left again to get them out of the middle. The problem for me came when I ran the 24 bit bounced stereo and ran it through Ozone. I added too much high frequency information and somehow everything seem to be coming from the right. I think the new mix has a better balance. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Again!!

Luis Domingo Diaz
Cell (847) 951-5620
[email protected]
www.luisdiazmusic.com
Beautiful mix Luis ,all the instruments sound crystal clear and in their own space on the stereo field which sounds great.
Missing some fullness in the centre of the mix but like your idea of changing the panning of the drums during the solo.
The ride cymbal as some exaggerated boxy frequencies which I think could softened 400-600 Hertz.
To explain what I'm thinking uploaded a rough sample with some more centre.

.mp3    All The Gin Is Gone mast.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. I did not pan the ride because they came as a stereo pair, what i did was panned the horns and that made the left and right rides have their own space. as far as the boxy frequencies I think it was due to some tape saturation and analog emulation.
Thank you again and God Bless!!
Luis Domingo Diaz
Cell (847) 951-5620
[email protected]
www.luisdiazmusic.com