Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackie Greene: 'Rise Up Singing'
Thank you everybody for listening and bothering to comment on the mix. Very much appreciated! I’ve tried to fix most of it in v2. And for the record I mix in the box, monitoring happens via Dynaudio near field in a “so-so” room. Try to close in sometimes, listening wise, with a pair of HD600 whenever the room seems to get in the way. Results are not always as expected to be witnessed in V1 upbove.
Thanks for your time!

.mp3    Rise Up Singing_Mix&Mstr.mp3 --  (Download: 9.37 MB)

.mp3    Rise Up Singing_Mix&Mstr_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.37 MB)

Hello sgwork,

Overall your balances seem ok. I'm not sure of your monitoring but the mix is sounding very bright and the drum overheads are in particular quite strident sounding. I feel there is a strong sub bass presence also. I'm guessing it's something to do with your monitoring that is letting you down. It maybe worth referencing some commercial material of the same genre whist mixing, this should help guide you with the tonality of the overall sound and keep things in check.

I think overall the mix could be quite good, if you can get this tonal balance right. Do this and you'll be well on the way. Hope this helps

Dave
Hi sgwork,
Dave has commented on what I can also hear, maybe you already have done this ,if not try reducing all track faders down just as an example around -6-12 db ,depending on the levels that the individual tracks to reduce the risk of overloading the master bus and leaving headroom .
The master level may be low but can be raised later by increasing the bus level volume or a combination of compression and limiting.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Nice main vocal sound. But , all in all ,not a good mix it sounds squashed and distorted. Blues needs some dirt, but this is too much.
Hi sgwork,
Listening on HD 600's
Version 2 , the kick sounds distorted and bright in the top end around 10k and above.
Maybe it's just my ears or personal preference .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(29-11-2016, 11:03 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi sgwork,
Listening on HD 600's
Version 2 , the kick sounds distorted and bright in the top end around 10k and above.
Maybe it's just my ears or personal preference .

Cheers Big Grin

Hi thedon,
Thanks for taking the time once more. About the kick….maybe a bit exaggerated in the mix….but I don’t hear any distortion or clipping in any way over here and I really tried hard to find something which would let me hear what you hear. Anyway I trust you’re hearing something, could it be a mp3 thing (not enough headroom, ISPs etc.)?
In the meantime I have listened to your mix and I must say this sounds very, very cool! I think about to redo my mix with yours as my reference. But first I’ll mix Jackie Greene’s “Dont Let The Devil Take Your Mind”.
Have a nice day!