Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amber Skye - Howlin Mix
Hi everybody!
It's my first mix. So your comments would be appreciated.

renelSmile

Now here is the latest version of this mix, version 3. I think it's time I got interested in other plays. Thanks to PureMix for this musical jewelry.

.mp3    Amber Skye - Howlin Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

.mp3    Amber Skye - Howlin v3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

(27-11-2016, 03:34 AM)renel Wrote: Hi everybody!
It's my first mix. So your comments would be appreciated.

renelSmile

Your first mix here on the forum but for sure not your first mix ever... welcome to the forum, you have a great foundation for mix decision making, look forward to hearing more of your posts.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Thank you for your comments. I am not a professional in the field, but I have some knowledge because I like to read a lot about mixing. I'm a guitarist and for now, mixing is an hobby and a passion. Really this site is a source of inspiration and knowledge.
Steinberg Cubase Pro 12 & UR22 Audio Interface.
Yamaha HS50M, Yamaha HS8 & AKG Reference Headphones K701
(Home setup with PC)
It sounds pretty good. There isn't really any problems to complain about. Two things jump out at me.

I think the mix could get a little bigger, more exciting in the chorus. Not a lot but just a little to make the sections feel a little different.

Also, the bass part feel like pumps a compressor a little too noticeably. I'm assuming on the mix bus maybe.

That's it though and really minor things.

Good job.
Thanks RoyMatthews for your comments. In this second version, I removed the parallel compression used with the bass of the chorus, it seems that it is less compressed. This was not suitable for a bass with so little attack. I also raised its sound level a little bit. However, I kept the parallel compression on the bridge bass. I also slightly increased the passage of the chorus by about 1.5 dB in order to give it a little more presence. I hope it will be more interesting.

.mp3    Amber Skye - Howlin Mix v2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

(Home setup with PC)
Hi renal,
Your second mix is much more exciting with better builds ans releases. Love the use of the narrow drum sound. Works well with the arrangement. Great overall sound.

Well Done.

Hello

Welcome. Let me start by saying you have a great sounding mix already as it is. most people get this song wrong but I think you have captured the essence well.
Here are my thoughts.

Overall there is a lil bit of excess of hights.. I'm talking from 10khz up on those FX tracks which is causing me to hate the brightness in the overall mix.
The space of the mix is well captured here. You did great with the reverb.
The bass on this song needs to come up because this is what brings the punch of the song. Without it the song feels weak and I believe this is still a thing to look at in the chorus. Never the less this could be just a mastering tweak

Good job overall. Keep it up Smile
(02-12-2016, 03:57 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello

Welcome. Let me start by saying you have a great sounding mix already as it is. most people get this song wrong but I think you have captured the essence well.
Here are my thoughts.

Overall there is a lil bit of excess of hights.. I'm talking from 10khz up on those FX tracks which is causing me to hate the brightness in the overall mix.
The space of the mix is well captured here. You did great with the reverb.
The bass on this song needs to come up because this is what brings the punch of the song. Without it the song feels weak and I believe this is still a thing to look at in the chorus. Never the less this could be just a mastering tweak

Good job overall. Keep it up Smile

Thanks Shul!

Indeed, I still have a little difficulty judging how far to go with the high frequencies and it is the same with the bass.

It is true that in the chorus, the bass has to give more punch to enhance the intensity of the piece.

Thank you for your good comments, it is very appreciated.
(Home setup with PC)