Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FunkyToTheBone_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Yo!!!! Funky stuff going on here! Fun!!!!!! Hope you like my mix. Feedback always welcomed.

Tommy

.mp3    FunkyToTheBone_7_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 13.98 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
It's a good mix man

Very cool live vibe here. Nothing big to complain here except maybe I would have like a bigger bass but that's it.
Good job.
Another Awesome mix Tommy,
Sounds great I like the upfront sound a lot ,inspired me to have another try !

Good job.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(24-11-2016, 11:45 PM)Shul Wrote: It's a good mix man

Very cool live vibe here. Nothing big to complain here except maybe I would have like a bigger bass but that's it.
Good job.

--------------
Shul, man thanks for the props....appreciate it. Did you mix this one??? I didn't see it on the posts.

Tom
(25-11-2016, 07:29 AM)thedon Wrote: Another Awesome mix Tommy,
Sounds great I like the upfront sound a lot ,inspired me to have another try !

Good job.

--------------------

Yo theDon!!!!! Thank-you for that.....you KNOW I appreciate it. Gonna take a listen to yours....see ya on your post.

Tom
Bold as brass mix with lot's of attitude! Tommy
I can tell that you love a big kick sound, and I think it works well here. You have also done a great job with the balances and guitar tones, something that I found difficult with this song for whatever reason.

The only thing I can nit pick on is with the organ trying to compete for the front against the guitar riff. Although I must admit this is a difficult challenge and an area I spent a lot of time on. It's easy to to upset the vibe of the song by pulling this guitar part back.

Anyway, too good as alwaysSmile

Dave

(28-11-2016, 08:58 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Bold as brass mix with lot's of attitude! Tommy
I can tell that you love a big kick sound, and I think it works well here. You have also done a great job with the balances and guitar tones, something that I found difficult with this song for whatever reason.

The only thing I can nit pick on is with the organ trying to compete for the front against the guitar riff. Although I must admit this is a difficult challenge and an area I spent a lot of time on. It's easy to to upset the vibe of the song by pulling this guitar part back.

Anyway, too good as alwaysSmile

Dave

---------------
Dave, thanks for the props! Yeah, I love a nice big kick. You are right about the organ solo and the guitar, etc. I did pull back the volume on the guitars about 1.5db during that solo, but it still overshadowed the organ solo a bit. I love that organ solo. I think the answer might be to bring the guitar back even further, and change its sound, soften it, eq it warmly, etc. I don't know, but it is difficult just like you said. I would love to hear what others feel about the organ situation and how to deal with it. Ahhhhh, just thought of something.....some side-chain ducking of the guitars when the organ is soloing.....THAT should do it. Dang, now I've got to go back in there when I get the time and try that.

Later,

Tom

Hey Tommy,

Love your drums and bass....great rhythm section....very funky...very groovey.....great job there. Overall, a nicely balanced mix.

I'm personally not 100% sold on EG1 going bang up centre channel for the whole song. It makes sense for the intro sections, when the guitar is heralding the arrival of each section and because there isn't a huge vocal presence. But I'm not sure it improves upon the classic left/right riff/funky rhythm arrangement.

Apart from the intro sections, there is already plenty going on in the centre channel with drums, bass, vocal, slide guitar, organ and solo extravaganza......having the riff competing with the melody lines feels a bit busy.

That said, its always good to try new things and go with a vision that you feel is right. Good job.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(09-12-2016, 03:08 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Tommy,

Love your drums and bass....great rhythm section....very funky...very groovey.....great job there. Overall, a nicely balanced mix.

I'm personally not 100% sold on EG1 going bang up centre channel for the whole song. It makes sense for the intro sections, when the guitar is heralding the arrival of each section and because there isn't a huge vocal presence. But I'm not sure it improves upon the classic left/right riff/funky rhythm arrangement.

Apart from the intro sections, there is already plenty going on in the centre channel with drums, bass, vocal, slide guitar, organ and solo extravaganza......having the riff competing with the melody lines feels a bit busy.

That said, its always good to try new things and go with a vision that you feel is right. Good job.

Cheers, Simon

----------------
Simon,

Thanks for the kind words. Nowwwwwwwwwwww, let me see if I can get you to be, say, 90% sold on your comment about the main guitar. You see, it's not that it's up dead center. It's actually spread across the stereo spectrum completely. I wanted to keep it anchored there because the vocals are sparse, and then some vocals I have extreme panned. During the organ solo, it's higher frequencies are bouncing around wonderfully (the leslie effect) leaving lots of space in the center (where I have the low frequencies anchored) for that guitar to keep on crunchin' around. Then the last guitar solo, as the song fades, I bring down the volume of the main guitar and the two do work pretty well, with just a bit of competition :-) Overall, what I heard in my heard I managed to produce pretty well. If I have the time, I would like to go back into the mix and provide a greater spread with the main guitar (basically leaving the center open) to see how that sounds. Many thanks for your comments.....made me really think, and I actually do want to remix this one again.......been sick with the Flu for the last week.....really wanna get back to mixing. :-)

Tom
(10-12-2016, 02:10 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: Simon,

Thanks for the kind words. Nowwwwwwwwwwww, let me see if I can get you to be, say, 90% sold on your comment about the main guitar.

lol Big Grin

Hey Tom - I reckon i could be 90% sold.....I could probably be 50% sold. Wink. I think your balance works well as is, and you've executed your vision confidently so take my previous comments with a pinch of salt.

For me personally, i just think the left right combo works better in terms of creating a sound stage and stereo width. The riff/rhythm balance contrast, e.g. L50, R50, creates a natural width as each ear is listening to something so different and then you have the center channel free for everything else....it seems the simplest solution to me.

That said, you've obviously worked hard to solve the balance in a different way and at the end of the day, that's what its all about.....taking that initial vision that you get and working it through into a balanced mix.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar