Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diesel13_ImagineMixStudio
Finished my mix, looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

EDIT: The second attachment is my revised version

.mp3    Diesel13_ColourMeRed_Final_MP3_320.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

.mp3    Deisel13_ColourMeRed_Revised_MP3_320.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

Is it me or is there something off with the timing of the lead vocal? It feels rushed in this mix. Maybe I'm just tired.

Overall it's a good mix. I think the bass could be a little more defined and maybe have a little more low end.
Is the bottom snare panned a little to the right? It's not my thing but I don't hate it. It works with the acoustic.

I'm not a fan of this particular distorted vocal sound. It feels too similar to the electric guitar. And that bottom snare sound now that I think about it. There could be more separation of the instruments.

It's sounding good and has a nice pulse. I just think it could have a little more depth.
I think Roy.. is correct in the hurried vocal delivery, maybe something moved during mixing (it happens). The vocal is coming in just before the downbeat.

The bottom snare is killing your snare tops body and attack.

The mix sounds pretty cool, but given the style of this song, I think the overly saturated vocal loses its appeal really quick. There are times when I can't distinguish the tail of the distorted vocal with the sound of the electric guitar. IMO

Your mix has two sides (regarding frequency spectrum) Bass and Air.
There is a lack of body which is hurting the depth of your mix.

Try bringing some the mid range detail back to some of your instruments or shelving the 8 to 10k region on you stringed instruments. Perhaps, just improving your bass guitar may even help with this issue.

I think you mix is a solid beginning towards something great.

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Thanks for the feedback, I fixed the vocal timing. I also went through and backed off eq and compression on the individuals and groups. I wanted a lot of character but pushed to aggressive with them. I updated balance and imaging to get more depth and separation of the instruments. I feel good about the updates.