Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Rehhhh!
Be warned there's notch filter sweep in the beginning so it gets LOUDER.

I wanted this to be clean and punchy. Hopefully I did that, but this is it for the moment.

Things I replaced.
Bass with Sanamp overdrive pedal and used one of the bass amps provided.
All electrical guitars, I used my amps and effects, SM7b.
Kick and snare top and bottom

Reverbs are both plugins and Lexicon MX400

Used VLA/MPA II for pres and comp on vox.

MasterBuss
Console 1 SSL4000E/British Class A
UHe, Presswerks/Satin
SS FGX

UPDATE: Ver2

I cleaned up the tracks by pulling back on compression and reverb, and made the over all mix brighter.

Update Ver 3:
I took the advice from The Don and Imagine Mix Studio, and reduced the Bass resonance at 150Hz. and gave the mix a little more air. I also brought Rhodes closer to the front of the sound stage and turn up the banjo.
I getting closer but please provide some feedback.
Thank you.
Feedback definitely welcome.

Cheers.

.mp3    Color Me Red.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Ver2_01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Ver3_01-01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
There's a weird resonance going on. Like it's being run through a reverb. It feels very washy. It's a little hard to evaluate the overall mix with that effect going on.

Beyond that it feels kinda crowded. I think panning out the instruments would help open it up and give them their own space.
(20-11-2016, 01:43 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: There's a weird resonance going on. Like it's being run through a reverb.

Thanks for the advice, this was helpful.

I think what you are hearing is build up of high mid frequencies caused by the reverb and compression.

Anyway, based on your input, I went back and cut the fat on some of the processing to clear up that fog. I also panned the instruments a little differently to give them some more room. I feel like the mix is much tighter now.

Best.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I love the snare replacement, but the rest of the mix i think should be spaced around it. Probably some more brightening of some instruments to pop out in front with the snare. The sounds you got sound nice the only could use some more separation and definition in the mix. The your mix is very smooth, which i like.
Hi.
Listening to version2 ,I like the snare and nice vocals thinking maybe the lead vocal could come up just a touch.
Can hear some low end build up of frequencies competing for space somewhere below 200hz area ?
The bass guitar sounds like it has too much 150 hz and maybe filtering some low end of the guitars and Rhodes in the same might help the bass.

just some thoughts while having a listen .
Good job !
Cheers

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(21-11-2016, 09:46 AM)thedon Wrote: The bass guitar sounds like it has too much 150 hz and maybe filtering some low end of the guitars and Rhodes in the same might help the bass.

Hey, Don I was listening to this yesterday in my car and I noticed that offending bass resonance also. I'm glad you confirmed it so I have another set of ears hearing the same thing.

Going to try and fix today and refine my mix a little more.
Thanks for the input.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(20-11-2016, 10:14 PM)Imagine Mix Studio Wrote: I love the snare replacement, but the rest of the mix i think should be spaced around it.

Yes, more separation and more depth is always a good thing and I going to try and get the banjo and rhodes to come out a little more today and address the bass issue that are possibly clouding up the mix.

Thank you for the listen and critique, all feedback is helpful.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1