Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Res (FINAL MIX )
Not participating in the contest but this is the mix I would submit if I was

Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

Thanks and hope you like it.

EDIT: Changed mastering settings on the final to correct the overload of mids. I agree with your thoughts on too much being TOO MUCH Smile I believe this sounds a lot cleaner but still has that warm analog feel. What do you think?

UPDATE: Final mix uploaded which I'm very happy with. I can release a full Comment section here if you like to know what the overview of my process was for this particular song.
Thanks for listening and Hope you like it.

.mp3    Colour Me Red.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

Hey Shul,
Nice warm version love your intro ,
The electric guitar and bass could come down and the vocals up a touch.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(19-11-2016, 04:56 AM)Shul Wrote: Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

Hmm, I think your mix is a bit midrange full. Low midrandge full

Nothing bad to add analog warm - I love it - but I think it should be balanced with not so strong low end.

Otherwise I have nothing bad to say of your mix, overall idea is very coherent and balanced and ear pleasing..

If I were a mastering engineer - which I’m not and never will be - I would add an low cut eq-curve to the mix. And a bit more precence to upper mids. Listen what I mean.

.mp3    shul-mastered-to-vinyl.mp3 --  (Download: 1.53 MB)

I agree with Olli H, listen how much clearer you can hear the bass guitar now on his "remastered" version, also the vocals much clearer...
but good mix anyway!
(19-11-2016, 04:56 AM)Shul Wrote: Before you say my mix is very midrange full.. I went for a more warm/"analog" approach Smile

I like the overall balance. The bass guitar needs some work. Its fine to present a warm feel (with more mids), but this sounds more like a couple of resonances on the bass guitar, maybe around 500Hz, stomping on everything else in the mix.

I think if you trim that, you can better keep both the clarity and the warmth desired.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
EDIT: Changed mastering settings on the final to correct the overload of mids. I agree with your thoughts on too much being TOO MUCH Smile I believe this sounds a lot cleaner but still has that warm analog feel. What do you think?
Hi Shul,

Mix 2
Yes, overall mix 2 is an improvement over mix 1.

Fun exciting intro… feels like it sneaks up and “pow”! Very effective introduction in my opinion. Considering making the lonely acoustic just a bit louder (or automate the volume to a higher point) and I think the pieces will connect better while still retaining the 'pow'. Again, great.

Sounds very full overall, and the bass guitar has a nice growl. I wish I could speak to the “analog feel”… I assume your speaking about vinyl... I don't own any.

Here are some improvement notes:
* Bass & Electric - The bass guitar and electric guitar 1 have a particular warmness and energy to them. But I don’t feel that similar feel from Electric Guitar 2 and 3 and the acoustic guitars. So perhaps a little disjoint between the two sets.
* Background Vocals - It’s hard to hear the words that are being said. And they appear very low in the right after mid section 1.

-Michael

P.S. Would you consider evaluating my 'Colour Me Red' mix?
You caught me.. I pretty much didn't do anything to the back vox other than group them together and put a HP filter on them for clarity. I now have to go back to mix them more to the center for more clarity as well as compression on several tracks for a more stable dynamic.

(24-11-2016, 03:11 AM)majew7 Wrote: I wish I could speak to the “analog feel”… I assume your speaking about vinyl... I don't own any.

When I say analog I mean the Analog consoles. Analog consoles tend to have a more darker (mid exciting) quality to their Gains than a digital. Digital mixers usually have a very crisp and clean gain. Vinyl reproduces an analog signal and it also adds a type of texture when played back. There are some vinyl emulation plugins that produce that analog sound but I was just referring to a warm tone in the mix.

About the intro I tried more volume at first but the volume as it is now was more efficient in my opinion. I'm not keeping track of which guitar is 1 or 2.. but I assume you are talking about the acoustic ones on left and right. I mainly took them as rhythm driver the main one for me was the distortion guitar. That's why maybe you perceive them as less energetic.
For the bass I used the DI track.. and one of the Mic tracks just to give it a more fuller sound on the subs.. the main one was the DI. I just thought a clean Bass sound was for effective to make better distiction between my kick, toms and Rhodes which live in the center of the mix.

Thanks for your comment I appreciate the feedback. Now I'm gonna go back to the mix and fix those Back Vox because the truth is I didn't think people would notice but you did. Smile

Hey man! I hope you've been well during my absence.

Most Everything I love. . . Something about the Vox are throwing me off though. They sound a bit boxy? Maybe bringing down 300 Hz a bit will help it. Try a slightly less cut at its double.

Really, I love the tone of the instrumets, but the Lead vox just sounds separated some how. . . The best way I can describe it.

So so so close!

Great mix!
Draper
(24-11-2016, 07:27 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey man! I hope you've been well during my absence.

Something about the Vox are throwing me off though. They sound a bit boxy? Maybe bringing down 300 Hz a bit will help it.

Thanks for the feedback Draper
I was also away for a while but I'm back.

Version above will have My final mix with Back Vox fixed and also took off a 500hz boost on the main vox and also cut of -2db around the 300 like you suggested and It changes the vocal drastically in the mix which I think sounds much cleaner and more understandable.