Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - Exciting Layered Mix
Thanks RoyMatthews...

Yeah, it helps to have the confirmation that the DrumRoom track is the primary culprit.

* RoomTrack - Reduced the width; move toward mono... though not completely.
* Acoustic Guitar - Less hard of a right pan. Just a hair louder.

thanks again Shul and RoyMatthews,
Michael

.mp3    ColourMeRed_FINAL3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.74 MB)

Listening to the 3 mixes I think you are on the right track, although I am missing some of the high frequency excitement in the drums that seems to have gone missing from the first mix. You might want to flick back and forth and see what elements in the mix have changed to have altered this.

The main thing for me with this mix now is it's almost mono. I like the mono drums but I think you could spreed the guitars out to the left and right. There are certainly enough guitar parts in the arrangement to make this work successfully. The fact that this mix works quite well in it's mono approach means it could open up real nice with some stereo spread.

Touching on some other comments, I think the electric guitar could do with some carving of the mids. It tends to overtake the mix a bit as is and is competing with the vox at times though out the song. While talking of tone, I can hear the acoustic guitars sounding a little full in the bottom at times also 300hz area, but I would be careful cutting too much as they will go thin sounding quickly. Maybe a job for some dynamic eq.

Anyway overall, I think you have a great drum sound and the tone of the mix is very good. I also think It would be worth the effort to explore the full stereo spectrum with this one and see where you can take it. Great work so far.Smile Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Michael,

Just listened to Mix 3 and here's some thoughts: I agree with what the most recent reply from another Dave said: It would help to spread it out in stereo more, just enough to get a little better separation and fullness. The drums sound great, although I think the crashes could be thickened up a bit, you could compress the OH's with a medium attack and fast release and then bring up the makeup gain to add some sustain.

Lead vocals sound strong although they get a bit bright/harsh at certain words, like the first time he says "Reeeedddd". Maybe automate some harsh highs out during that point.

BGV's sound solid but seem slightly louder in the right speaker for the "gotta tell your mama". Maybe you wanted it that way, but I feel it makes it seem a bit unbalanced. Since there were so many BGV's tracks on that one it helped me to find the matching pairs, get their volumes matched and put them together on a stereo track, compress pretty heavily and then pan accordingly.

Overall, solid mix to work with. Hope some of this might help! Thanks for your comments as well.