Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackie Greene: 'Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind'
Hi everyone! Here's my try at this great song. It was first time I mixed any live version and I tried to keep that feeling, I hope I managed.

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated Smile

.mp3    Jackie Greene_Don\'t Let The Devil- 2016-11-15.mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

(15-11-2016, 07:05 PM)ujerovsek Wrote: Hi everyone! Here's my try at this great song. It was first time I mixed any live version and I tried to keep that feeling, I hope I managed.

Hi ujerovsek,
Thanks for commenting on my mix. I like the dynamic build up of your mix, great toms too. But I think my drums fit my mix as was intended. Anyhow, a matter of taste of course!
But your mix is really well balanced and sounds good. In my mix I wanted to retain the live intensity and also give it a rather wide sound stage and the latter giving you maybe the impression of some dynamics inconsistencies in the overall mix balance.
Hi again,
thanks for commenting, appreciated. I see the song as slowly increasing in intensity until the end and I used some automation to bring forward the solo guitar, which I think it builds the character slowly. For toms I'm glad you like it, normally I'm struggling with them..

(02-12-2016, 08:13 AM)sgwork Wrote:
(15-11-2016, 07:05 PM)ujerovsek Wrote: Hi everyone! Here's my try at this great song. It was first time I mixed any live version and I tried to keep that feeling, I hope I managed.

Hi ujerovsek,
Thanks for commenting on my mix. I like the dynamic build up of your mix, great toms too. But I think my drums fit my mix as was intended. Anyhow, a matter of taste of course!
But your mix is really well balanced and sounds good. In my mix I wanted to retain the live intensity and also give it a rather wide sound stage and the latter giving you maybe the impression of some dynamics inconsistencies in the overall mix balance.

I think you've captured a very good live sound. Did you enhance it with any other reverb or just what was included with the room mics? What processing did you do on the provided room mics?

The only thing I am hearing which I do not like is the compression chain on the lead vocal. It seems to cause the vocal location to waver in the performance space by the dynamics of the compression. As a result it gets a little nasal. However, nasal is part of Jackie's natural tone and I used it to tune the guitars to support his head tones.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi there! Thanks for listening and commenting, appreciated. I've mixed this song a while ago and I had to check what I did then.
- Live sound - this was the first live recording I tried to mix so it was bit challenge. I read that some of the guys did lots of 'cleaning' and trying to limit the bleed to the mics. I did the opposite, I just took the bleed in the mics (e.g. vocals) as part of the overall sound. I did send the drums and vocals to reverb (hall) aux but I only added it a little. I think this live sound comes from this reverb, but also from all the other mics.
- Room mics - I cranked up the high shelf at 8k, used also some compression (6dB); however, in the end the room mics are hardly audible, perhaps they add a bit of color, but I didn't use much of them.
- Compression - yes, true. I've checked and I did use quite a lot of it on the lead vocal. I think because (i) it's a live recording and I guess Jackie wasn't standing as still as he would in a recording studio so I used quite a lot of automation and compression to get more constant levels, and (ii) because in my early mixes I used it way more than I do now Smile After your comment I tried with less compression and it sounds better, thanks.

Thanks for the comments, I'll try to post corrected version asap Smile

I know this song was originally posted some time ago. I stumbled on it just recently and was immediately intrigued by it. Lots of good takes on this and a lot to learn from too. Look forward to your comments and your next go.

Jackie's vocal dynamics are all over the place. Controlling that is the work but capturing the expressiveness of his unique performance this night is the reward. I have three compressors on the vocals, two inserts in Jackie's channel and one of the over-all stereo vocal buss, the latter used to glue the lead and backgrounds together. The first insert does the bulk of the dynamic control with the second set for catching the exuberance in the solo.

I had originally boosted high end in the room mics and even tried significant differences between left and right but eventually went for something more modest in the top end and then hi-passed a bit lower too. The other room pair was eq'd and worked together with the other room pair to establish the environmental perspective. I automated the L and R room mics in the beginning of the song to let the listener hear the space then tightened as the song hit the groove at the start.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]