Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Thursday Reverie
Hey guys,

here's my mix. Used a lot of subtle saturation and compression. I also tried to make it sound like an orchestra.

What do you think of the subbass?

Thanks. Great music, by the way!

Greetz
Mrvin

.mp3    Ian Dearden - Thursday Reverie.mp3 --  (Download: 9.3 MB)

Mrvin

Thanks for the mix - it got my speakers rattling!!

I am repeatedly fascinated at the differing approaches to mixing this tune - and I feel privileged that you've all enjoyed the task, and the tune, so much!!

Cheers

Ian D

Finally got a chance to listen to this mix on my studio monitors at home (KRK RP8s).

This is a really really lovely mix, and the bass remains well under control throughout - well done!!

Thanks again!!

Ian D
Hey, mate!

Glad you liked it. It took me about six hours to make the mix, if anyone wonders.

I like to mix songs in a way such that they can be listened to at higher volumes. However, this is often accompanied by a lack of exciting dynamics and instruments that sort of don't have the guts to fully show themselves on the sound stage. At least that's what I'm hearing in this mix again.

Well, when do we have the chance again of mixing another song of yours?

And a little off-topic: Where do I "submit" my multitracks on this site, if I have any?

Greets,
Mrvin
(20-11-2016, 04:26 PM)Mrvin Wrote: [...]
And a little off-topic: Where do I "submit" my multitracks on this site, if I have any?

Greets,
Mrvin

I think you need to contact Mike Senior for that

[Well, when do we have the chance again of mixing another song of yours?]

I'm on holidays shortly. I'm hoping to get into my studio and clean up at least one more multitrack to send to Mike Senior in the next month or so!!

Smile

Mrvin

I just listened again to your mix, very carefully. You really have done a beautiful job in capturing the vision of this piece!!

I've always felt the lead part was "singing" in front of a widescreen orchestra, with the sound effects (soundscape) passages as a diversion & resetting component of the linear mix, and you've got to the essence of that superbly.

Thanks again, and i've just started my holidays, so i hope to dig out some more electronica multitracks in the next few weeks to send to Mike!!

Cheers

Ian D
Hey Ian,

makes me very happy that you like it! Smile

When I first listened to your song, I immediately had the same thoughts about the orchestra stuff. Part of being a sound engineer is to eventually figure out the heart and meaning of the song, which is quite tough sometimes.

Ok, that's great! Hopefully I will notice it when your new multitracks are online. If not, you could send me a private message, if you like. Wink

Happy Christmas, mate!

Greets,
Mrvin