Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the Gin is Gone - Late 50s Mix
First attempt that took me about 10 minutes (v1).

Tried to (very roughly) imitate the signature Columbia/Ampex sound.

Feel free to tear me to shreds. Big Grin

u47u67u87

.m4a    All the Gin is Gone - Late 50s Mix (v1).m4a --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

.mp3    All the Gin is Gone - Late 50s Mix (v1).mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

Ha. Interesting. After I did my initial mix I did a "50s" mix too but I went a little far with it I think.

Sounds great. I like the slight panning of the drums and the piano. It gives them some space with out sounding separated. Nice horn sounds too.

If I had any issue it would be to automate the horns in the melody so they blend a little better. Sometimes one particular horn will pop out more than the others. But that's just me trying to find something to complain about.

Good work.
(15-11-2016, 02:26 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ha. Interesting. After I did my initial mix I did a "50s" mix too but I went a little far with it I think.

Sounds great. I like the slight panning of the drums and the piano. It gives them some space with out sounding separated. Nice horn sounds too.

If I had any issue it would be to automate the horns in the melody so they blend a little better. Sometimes one particular horn will pop out more than the others. But that's just me trying to find something to complain about.

Good work.

Thank you very much for your critique!

I absolutely agree that the horn blend/automation was my weak point.

Listening again this morning (I'm in LA), I also think I went a little heavy-handed on the reverb, as I was tired.

I will post v2 later today, maybe after further analysis.

Once again, thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

u47u67u87
I can't get on board with the environment you placed your mix in. The sounds are fine but the environment is detracting from the music too much for me. I think the idea is good, but maybe some fine tuning of the RT time and tonal content of the reverb could be better. When I think of 50's mixes I think Dave Brubek. For me, that translates to either natural reverb from the recording space or a chamber reverb. I feel your environment is too prevalent and is distracting from the character of the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]