Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New mix
Hi

Glad I found this place. Been reading your articles for long now , Mike and this a great initiative. Here is my first mix. Mixed on a very humble setup. Hope you like it.

.mp3    Dead_roses_mix_nitin.mp3 --  (Download: 5.39 MB)

(18-07-2012, 08:41 PM)Kaivalya Wrote: Hi

Glad I found this place. Been reading your articles for long now , Mike and this a great initiative. Here is my first mix. Mixed on a very humble setup. Hope you like it.

Having listened to the mix with fresh ears I found it becomes a bit left heavy in parts with acoustic guitar pulling the balance.I would change that if i revisit the mix.
Lots of great warmth in this mix. You've taken a heavier view of the drums, which I rather like in principle. However, I'm not quite convinced that it's the right route to take subjectively speaking, given the message of the lyrics. It's heavily a question of personal taste, that, of course, but I don't know if you've considered this particular mix decision from that perspective. I have to say that I would intinctively have gone for more laid-back drums, but I love it that I've now got to hear an alternative interpretation like this so I can get a wider perspective -- thanks! Smile

There's a nice sense of blend to this mix too, and the piano comes across well. However, like gleonardops, it sounds like the guitar is quite DI-heavy, which seems slightly incongruous given the acoustic context. The matching between the two vocals works pretty effectively for me here, so good work there too. I like the female vocal sound in particular, and you've balanced the two voices nice and smoothly for the choruses too -- the way you've ridden the "no, no, no..." from Andrew before the other singer's entry is an important part of the recipe there, I reckon.

Overall this is a pretty classy mix, I'd say. Keep 'em coming!