Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red Mix 1
Hey all,

This was fun to mix. The drums had some phase problems and there was some shrill resonances in the 3k area on the vocal that I couldn't shake but other than that I thought it was well recorded. I like the interesting workingman's group backgrounds thing this song has. As always any advise is welcome.

Thanks
Tim

.mp3    Colour Me Red Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

It's is a fun song to mix. I need to stop messing with it.

Your mix sounds pretty good. The song loses a little energy after the intro. The lead vocal feels a little back in the mix and the main electric guitar feels a little loud. I don't know if a change in one would help the other. There's a ringing in some of the acoustics that could be tamed. The toms are a little indistinct. Is that the phase problem you mentioned? It could be the panning of the overheads (they're audience perspective).

Tonally everything's balanced without being harsh. Bass sits well. Overall it can use some minor tweaking but the mix definitely works.

(11-11-2016, 08:59 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It's is a fun song to mix. I need to stop messing with it.

Your mix sounds pretty good. The song loses a little energy after the intro. The lead vocal feels a little back in the mix and the main electric guitar feels a little loud. I don't know if a change in one would help the other. There's a ringing in some of the acoustics that could be tamed. The toms are a little indistinct. Is that the phase problem you mentioned? It could be the panning of the overheads (they're audience perspective).

Tonally everything's balanced without being harsh. Bass sits well. Overall it can use some minor tweaking but the mix definitely works.

Oh man I didn't even notice the drum panning! woops. Ok I went back put the toms in the right spot. Turned down the electric and got rid of the drums in the intro. I also thinned out the intro guitar a bit. I nudged the vocal up a bit as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ha that was fast.
Yeah, it took me a mix or two to notice the toms.
The intro feels better. Personally, I'm center the acoustic if it's by itself but that's just me. Keep in mind that the acoustic is recorded louder in the intro that on the rest of the track. I've just been cutting it and putting on it's own intro guitar track that way I can tweak it without having to mess with automation.

The electric level feels better. Vocals feel hot now but the track can take it so it's not a big deal. I think on this song they're better a little loud than back.

Sounding good.