Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =)
I wasn't 100% happy with the vocals so I deleted half of the plugins of my vocal chain and only kept the ones that were really doing something (went from 6 plugins down to 3). Vocals sound slightly fuller now and gel more into the song. Did some automation to bring some highlights in the spotlight (mainly overheads and hats).

.mp3    Still_Flyin_Final Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.62 MB)

Hello Smile,

-Toms are too loud.
-Voice volume could be lower :p
-Too much verb on 2.00 lead.
-Leads are a bit lost sometimes.
-Maybe rythm could be louder.

Exept that, this is pretty good sounding !

Take care.
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
After working on a lot of others projects I finally came back to this song and made two small adjustments:
1. Turned the vocals down a db. I prefer "vocal up" mixes but it was a tad too much.
2. Brought down the toms by 2 dbs after clipping them a little more.

For me, Still_Flyin_Final Mix 3.mp3 is solid as rock and from here everything else is pretty much personal preference and won't change the impact much.

Cheers,
Dirk

.mp3    Still_Flyin_Final Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.62 MB)

Cool intro. I like the mix you covered the issues with the tracks well. The only thing are the toms are still too hot at times.
I might have to revisit mine and try and correct some things.
Great job!
(11-11-2016, 11:51 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Know that feeling, Takka. I wish I knew a way how to make the lead vocals sound smooth. I waisted 3-4 hours yesterday trying to fix those harsh frequencies in the 1-3k area with as less processing as I could but to no avail. Probably have to bring out the big guns and just squash them to death.

If you can, maybe try a multi band compressor (TDR Nova is free). I was able to zero in on those harsh frequencies around 3-3.5 k which really helped.
Hey Dirk, Mix3 is a solid mix, nice job. The drum samples you've used sound particularly good, the low end of the kick works really well. Personally, I'd like to hear a touch more top end/air and a bit more width. That's just my preference. I've just started having a look at this mix, keen to hear your feedback when I've uploaded it. Cheers, Mick.
sounds awesome dude!

Nice intro, nice choice of drum samples, that snare cuts through incredibly good. Personally, I would like to hear the vocals a little bit brighter, although I know those are a pain in the ass vocals to work on the first place... Yet, It's definitely a killer mix

Please come over and listen to my mix, I'm sure you will be able to helpfully criticise me!

Cheers!
Matias
Hi Blitzzz - I know this is almost two years old but I just found this tune and you did an awesome job on this mix. The choices you made were really good. Many thanks for sharing.

ONITB
Thank you mate, didn't see your comment. Someone from the band also gave me his blessing, so it seems like I did something right back then Smile
wow sound good super good job blitzz