Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mallory
It was the possibility of creating interesting environments for the instruments in this piece which attracted me to it. After listening to the mixes previous to my post, it appears I have a lot still to learn on automation and electronic music mixing. Be that as it may, this is my first attempt with this genre. I' appreciate feedback.

About Mix 2

Well I dove right into this with Mix 2 below, and some of it I really like and some of it is somewhat questionable. I was pretty much exploring tonality and space but the focus kept shifting. At some point you've got to say, done! So, done it is (for this go-rouind) and after your suggestions and comments. So thanks in advance for listening and commenting.

If anyone is interested in the vocal effect chain, let me know and I will try to esplain.

One more note: This site sucks the volume out of my content so please turn it up to immersion level on speakers.

About Mix 3

Tried for better definition of all parts after a deeper exam of parts and a significant change in gain structure to boost power.

.mp3    The Mountaineering Club - Mallory - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    The Mountaineering Club - Mallory.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

.mp3    The Mountaineering Club - Mallory - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.06 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Oh this song. It's such a Postal Service copy. Not that that is a bad thing.

Here's some initial thoughts. Some of the synths are a little harsh. Especially in the second verse and at the end.

The tough thing about this song is it's very slow and open and takes a long time to grow. It needs more elements that catch the listener's ear and keep them interested. Definitely more delays and space. But don't over do it. The thing about this kind of song is the contrast between the acoustic parts of the piano and vocal and the electronic parts. I think it helps to not view it as an electronic song. But that's just me.

If you haven't read it already, check out Mike Senior's mix rescue about this song. http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/m...ering-club
I think his most important 'trick' to mixing this song was to work "backwards" and start with the vocals and lastly with the drums. The vocals are such a focal point of the song that the rest of the mix should support them.

This song is a study in dynamics. There should be greater changes between the first verse and second and the drop in the bridge when the instruments cut out should feel dramatic. By the end the song should sound huge (it is a song about a mountain climber, after all). Of course it should do all of that contained in the few dB we have to work with.

Hope that helps.
(08-11-2016, 02:58 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Oh this song. It's such a Postal Service copy. Not that that is a bad thing.

Here's some initial thoughts. Some of the synths are a little harsh. Especially in the second verse and at the end.

The tough thing about this song is it's very slow and open and takes a long time to grow. It needs more elements that catch the listener's ear and keep them interested. Definitely more delays and space. But don't over do it. The thing about this kind of song is the contrast between the acoustic parts of the piano and vocal and the electronic parts. I think it helps to not view it as an electronic song. But that's just me.

If you haven't read it already, check out Mike Senior's mix rescue about this song. http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/m...ering-club
I think his most important 'trick' to mixing this song was to work "backwards" and start with the vocals and lastly with the drums. The vocals are such a focal point of the song that the rest of the mix should support them.

This song is a study in dynamics. There should be greater changes between the first verse and second and the drop in the bridge when the instruments cut out should feel dramatic. By the end the song should sound huge (it is a song about a mountain climber, after all). Of course it should do all of that contained in the few dB we have to work with.

Hope that helps.

Roy,
Thanks so much for the great input and advice. Not sure I understand the 'Postal Service' reference, but I think I can take that as cookie-cutter/un-inspired. If that is your assessment, I'd say you're spot on. I will need to work on the building of the dynamics and finding the core themes in each part of the song (out of the myriad choices) and attempt to enhance the piece with them. That's quite a task for this song, especially without a control surface. Funny. As I was mastering this for deposition here, I noticed how the wave form of the stereo mix was quite dynamic even without my creative participation. I'll really need to sharpen my ears on this one.

The loops throw me a bit as they contain parts I wish I could separate out of the individual tracks. Also, the plethora of stereo tracks and dual-mono guitars makes it a challenge to really change the environment too drastically without skewing the original imagery. And then there are the background vocals. Smothered and dripping in BAD reverb. There is a lot I could do with track editing and arrangement but as I'm not getting paid for this, it may not make the front burner for a while. Just a lot of work to get this up to snuff.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Postal Service is a band that this band sounds like. They're pretty cool, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmwmtC7U8Ws You'll see the similarity right away.

(08-11-2016, 03:52 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Postal Service is a band that this band sounds like. They're pretty cool, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmwmtC7U8Ws You'll see the similarity right away.

I get it! Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]