Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Colour Me Red @ The Wild-Eyed Sinner's Ball
(20-11-2016, 02:43 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: I like the balance of your mix and I think you did a good job of showcasing all of the instruments.

My caveats are: (with much respect)

The overheads are bright and shimmery.
The bass guitar is not as present as I would prefer it.
The outro is interesting but it does sound like a loop and is too long, IMO.
The effect in the beginning is maybe over cooked.

Best.

Wesley...
Thanks for your listen and comments. All very good points and points which I have taken to heart in my version 5 mix. Your opinion is shared by many other listeners and I think you have identified the most egregious in this list. Please have a listen to my post submission, submission. Again, thanks for the good ears and the great points.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Version 5
See above for track...

After the great comments from many well eared listeners I have done another mix and tried to integrate the common threads identified by my able peers. I can say I have learned a lot from this exercise, not least of all is when to close the door so as not to piss off the girlfriend after the 100 and umpteenth pass through the song!

One note, if I may about the out. I left this long enough for DJs to do what they want with the fade. I admit I was thinking commercial radio/broadcast when I executed my out. That may be a cop-out for not 'finishing' the song, but it's not. The groove and the riff are hypnotic in it's pulse and energy. I let that take it on down the road...
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I checked out your mix submission. Overall i like it but a couple things stuck out to me. The first was the intro. It is loud and bright in relationship to the music creating the imagine of the music starting being dark and quiet. The other thing is the vocals were sometimes difficult to hear fully.
(20-11-2016, 09:54 PM)Imagine Mix Studio Wrote: I checked out your mix submission. Overall i like it but a couple things stuck out to me. The first was the intro. It is loud and bright in relationship to the music creating the imagine of the music starting being dark and quiet. The other thing is the vocals were sometimes difficult to hear fully.

Hi James,
Can I ask which version you are commenting on?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
On your newest post submission. I would just lp the intro gtr and adjust the vocal some in the chorus and bridge. You present the gtr more in those sections which draws a lot of attention to them which is good. The vocals can be heard here but i have to actively listen to them to understand and follow them. Other than that i thinks it is a great mix.
(20-11-2016, 06:39 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: How embarrassing. Mike, you were spot on. My vocal track was just slightly offset after my arrangement hacks. How embarrassing!

Hah! If that were the most embarrassing thing I'd ever done, I'd be a happy man. Smile Otherwise, I'm glad the input was useful, and look forward to hearing the final version when it arrives!

Coming soon, Mike. It will be listed as Final Mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Quote:...Please have a listen to my post submission, submission.

Nice clear mix overall.

The beginning is anti-climatic because I anticipate an eruption and impact of sound and yet it remains constant.

Remix Sec: IMHO

I would get rid of the breathe/break in the intro because its like a stutter and I don't think it has the effect you think it does unless you do some thing about the impact following the quarter rest. Also, the extended outro just makes the song arduous and it certainly sounds artificially extended. A song should make you want more not less.

The snares bottom is more apparent than the body of the snare.

Trem guitars are little boxy in the 500hz. range or maybe back off the volume a bit.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(24-11-2016, 01:41 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote:
Quote:...Please have a listen to my post submission, submission.

Nice clear mix overall.

The beginning is anti-climatic because I anticipate an eruption and impact of sound and yet it remains constant.

Remix Sec: IMHO

I would get rid of the breathe/break in the intro because its like a stutter and I don't think it has the effect you think it does unless you do some thing about the impact following the quarter rest. Also, the extended outro just makes the song arduous and it certainly sounds artificially extended. A song should make you want more not less.

The snares bottom is more apparent than the body of the snare.

Trem guitars are little boxy in the 500hz. range or maybe back off the volume a bit.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Wesley,
Your observations are spot on. I have made many of the suggested changes but have yet to post them as I am getting to the point of saturation with the song. I need some time away from it now.
Thanks for your input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]