Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - Olli H
I didn't want to take this song to stadium. I prefered to emphasize the acoustic groove the band had.
My main reference was modern Bob Dylan playing Muddy Waters style old blues. During the mixing process I added also Dr. Feelgood to my references. So my version is maybe Dr. Feelgood unplugged.

EDIT:
Final competition version in post #21

.mp3    colourmered-2016-11-01-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)

(01-11-2016, 05:38 PM)Olli H Wrote: I didn't want to take this song to stadium. I prefered to emphasize the acoustic groove the band had.
My main reference was modern Bob Dylan playing Muddy Waters style old blues. During the mixing process I added also Dr. Feelgood to my references. So my version is maybe Dr. Feelgood unplugged.

Great groovy rock n roll sound!! I loved it! Smile
Hi Olli

sounds a great mix, great balance. I like a bit more room verb on vocals and drums which is more a taste thing but sounds driving on my monitors.

Keep on Rockin

Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
I agree with RoyMatthews about the vocals having some nasty 'whistles' between 5-8k. Hard for me to judge anything else as I struggled so much with them myself, and now I'm constantly hearing just them. But you know your trade and the sound is right in the parts without the lead vocals. A sample with the snare? I'm just curious if I'm hearing a sample or just imaging my own. Smile
Thanks all, new version is coming soon with some fixes in vox.

(01-11-2016, 11:51 PM)kapu Wrote: I agree with RoyMatthews about the vocals having some nasty 'whistles' between 5-8k. Hard for me to judge anything else as I struggled so much with them myself, and now I'm constantly hearing just them.

Now I can also hear it, thanks. I'll try to fix that, but I must be very careful not to create bigger problems by solving another. In those moments when my ears are tuned to listen problems, I tend to create dull and boring mixes.

(01-11-2016, 11:51 PM)kapu Wrote: But you know your trade and the sound is right in the parts without the lead vocals. A sample with the snare? I'm just curious if I'm hearing a sample or just imaging my own. Smile
Actually I added two different samples. But the orginal track is included, so I didn't replace it.

I like the acoustic mood in the mix! I think it fits it very well!! Yes, I agree with those sibillants that they pointed out before... but not always though, so if you automate your deesser, you can solve that problem very easily.
mixing since April 2013
Great mix - a little heavy on the vocal and/or master buss compression which I hear 'squashing' weirdly. The snare drum has definite 'flam' - this could either be your room mics or any sample enhancement not working together. Lots of pitched resonances in the acoustic guitars that need dealing with at their root - it's the engineer's fault (isn't it always?) as they are there in the recordings, but they are simple to deal with - a little high-Q EQ work to nip them out (the attached screen grab may help you).

Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for comments. THat dropbox-link didn't work. [I've now uploaded it as an attachment -- Mike S.]
Great energy in this mix. Well done. Maybe a bit too much compression over-all which flattens it out just a bit.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for all comments!
Some issues fixed in this one.

.mp3    colourmered-2016-11-10-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)