Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: "Blue" Mixed by: Tevin Turner
Hello,

I am Tevin Turner, a graduate student at Middle Tennessee State University in the Masters of Fine Arts program for Recording Arts and Technologies. This mix was completed as assignment for my Mixing Techniques class taught by John Merchant. The assignment was to go search the web for a set of multi-tracks, mix them, and not only submit the final mix to the professor but also submit the final mix to a website for public review. Being that I found the track on Cambridge's website I thought it would be a good place for the re-upload.

The mix was completed solely in-the-box and I spent about 8hrs total on the whole thing.

Please listen and review the mix.

Thanks

Tevin R. Turner

.mp3    Patrick Talbot_Blue_Mixed by Tevin Turner.mp3 --  (Download: 10.1 MB)

Hey Tevin, there's some really cool things in your mix! Smile
I like the tone of the bass, you achieved a very round but present tone. The rhythm guitar is sound nice and wide as well.
What I feel would need more attention is the lead vocal, which sounds rather dry and perhaps too close, compared to the "band". There's also some tone issues to some phrases (which I admit is totally there in the sources, but could perhaps be addressed a little better, possibly with a dynamic EQ). The bgvs are nice and soft, although at first I thought they were a little bit too much effected, if you see what I mean.
Finally the drums, I find the snare and kick in particular a little bit too compressed and too much in your face, I think they would benefit from being pushed back a little and perhaps less loud?
Perhaps what's missing with drums and vocals is a pinch of room/hall reverb to place them along with the rest of the band...
Anyway, that's just some pointers, overall, you did a find job, this one is not as easy as it looks at first, and you did well!
Good luck with your studies! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here