Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red-memphis Style
Hi all

I enjoyed this track so much, right up my street. A mix of Rockabilly, Country and Diesel. Spent a few hours on balancing , finding a space and time for everything. Got to admit the bottom end drives the song but trying to keep mud free was a task. dragged my telecaster out to play along to the groove ,,,

Let me know what you guys think so far and what tweaks might be needed

Updated to v2 with a bit more centred mix , hopefully better Huh
Let me know

Good Look All

Regards

Memphis Cool

.mp3    Colour Me Red Master v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.7 MB)

.mp3    Colour Me Red .mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

.mp3    Colour me Red Final Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Sounds great! It's very smooth. I like your injection of your tele. I hear some phaser in there? In the middle with the banjo and acoustic ringing out together really blends beautifully. It's a little hauntingly beautiful, in my opinion.

First of all, feels great.

Secondly, I feel that there’s too much digital space. Everybody is quite far, so the energy disappears to the room.

I feel something should be near. Take a listen of those old rockabillies (elvis 54 excluded), singer is very close normally.

Groove is more on the left side. It makes a bit hollow feeling as there’s no balancing energy on the right side.

If you can make the energy move towards the listener and keep the space focused but big, I’ll certainly buy this mix.
(01-11-2016, 06:02 PM)Olli H Wrote: First of all, feels great.

Secondly, I feel that there’s too much digital space. Everybody is quite far, so the energy disappears to the room.

I feel something should be near. Take a listen of those old rockabillies (elvis 54 excluded), singer is very close normally.

Groove is more on the left side. It makes a bit hollow feeling as there’s no balancing energy on the right side.

If you can make the energy move towards the listener and keep the space focused but big, I’ll certainly buy this mix.
Hi Olli, thanks for the feedback mate, It does seem to give to the left. I thought that today when listening on phone buds ever so slightly and I think I was controlling the mid a bit tight which could make it feel possibly not as strong. I was just working on a more mid present mix but getting the mid vocal not too loud was a balance issue . Would like your feedback on this new one to see if I have moved in the right direction.

thanks again for the feedback its much appreciated

Regards

Memphis

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Yo Memphis! how goes it?

I really like the raw swagger you have going with this mix

Couple of thoughts

1. Are you sure about your choice of bottom end champion? You have a great driving bass, but the kick is almost inaudible....have a listen to the verses. For me the kick should be clear and punctuate the vocal, but I'm having a real hard time hearing it...I can hear the beater, but not any real thump. Some of that is maybe because of the acoustic guitar level being fairly hot and possibly masking it....but I think some of it has to do with the overall drum balance.

2. and because I'm not hearing any kick thump, i feel the mix is missing out on a bit of natural drum groove between kick and snare....i cant really see the drummer playing in my minds eye.

3. if you decide to re-balance drums etc, you may want to look at bottom end / mid range balance. At the moment the mid range seems a wee bit dominant.

That said, this is a tricky mix. well done and keep it up.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I think the instruments in your mix are being lost to the environment you placed them in. As a result, I think a lot of the raw energy of the song is lost. All of your sounds are fine, I just think they are laid back with too much environment and compression. Let it breathe.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Memphis.

Agree with my mate above me. Your instruments are very wet and they sound lost in space somewhere hard to define.
All I hear is vocal and snare drum. I sense bass drum kinda on left. I cannot hear any definition in kick drum and bass guitar. Only thing that shines is the main vocal. You did great job on it. Backing vocals also sound good.
(04-11-2016, 02:25 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Yo Memphis! how goes it?

I really like the raw swagger you have going with this mix

Couple of thoughts

1. Are you sure about your choice of bottom end champion? You have a great driving bass, but the kick is almost inaudible....have a listen to the verses. For me the kick should be clear and punctuate the vocal, but I'm having a real hard time hearing it...I can hear the beater, but not any real thump. Some of that is maybe because of the acoustic guitar level being fairly hot and possibly masking it....but I think some of it has to do with the overall drum balance.

2. and because I'm not hearing any kick thump, i feel the mix is missing out on a bit of natural drum groove between kick and snare....i cant really see the drummer playing in my minds eye.

3. if you decide to re-balance drums etc, you may want to look at bottom end / mid range balance. At the moment the mid range seems a wee bit dominant.

That said, this is a tricky mix. well done and keep it up.

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon
thanks for the feedback mate, I do sometimes struggle with not letting the kick out of its cage as it can over power the mix. I did spend many attempts trying to get the bass and kick to separate but will definitely have a look at that. I do like smooth lol

again many thanks ,its great to get feedback on my mixes

Keep Rockin

Memphis

(04-11-2016, 12:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I think the instruments in your mix are being lost to the environment you placed them in. As a result, I think a lot of the raw energy of the song is lost. All of your sounds are fine, I just think they are laid back with too much environment and compression. Let it breathe.

Hi Mate

thanks for the feedback. I do like my verbs Rolleyes but not actually a lot on the guitars but I did eq some of the honk out of them to smooth them out . Will check compression again but only had a db or two on them to keep the stabs under control. I do buss acoustic and electric guitars separate so will check that

Thanks again for the feedback

Keep Rockin
Memphis