Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Flyin (Rough Mix)
This is a rough mix I put together last night, with lots of work still to be done. But I would love to get some feedback on my mix so far nonetheless. There is quite a bit of automation I still need to do on the vocals to even them out a bit dynamically, so I will likely get started on that tonight.

Please be as brutally honest as you wish to be in your feedback, I am always looking for things to improve upon.

.mp3    TheApprehended_StillFlyin_RoughMix(Brickwall).mp3 --  (Download: 10.54 MB)

(24-10-2016, 12:01 AM)Tanner Wrote: This is a rough mix
I have included 2 versions, one has a brickwall on it and the other does not.

Alright, this is what I hear:

The Good; Overall, you have a decent balances as far as spatial arrangement and levels go.

The Bad; your snare and drums lack impact, power and depth. Check you bass guitar and bring it into the mix to fatten things up a bit. The reverb on the main vocals is a bit apparent and seems to be in a separate room from the rest of the band. Try sending it to an Aux and blending it in with the dry signal till you get it perfect. You can even try to set up a global reverb buss and send a little bit from every instrument to it to help glue the mix together.

The Ugly; You should listen to the bands mix and you'll notice that the lead vocals and guitars that you imported into your mix are not in sync with the song. Everyone who mixes this song has this issue and for overall tightness you need to put those tracks where they belong in the mix.

Finally, I had a rough time with this mix because there is a lot of masking frequencies to contend with and finding a balance for everything is difficult and time consuming. Keep trying and you'll get there. I just uploaded the third mix of this song on my thread and I feel that its close for now, but I'll probably find something that I need to change later.

Hope this helps give you some useful ideas.

Cheers.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(24-10-2016, 01:53 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote:
(24-10-2016, 12:01 AM)Tanner Wrote: This is a rough mix
I have included 2 versions, one has a brickwall on it and the other does not.

Alright, this is what I hear:

The Good; Overall, you have a decent balances as far as spatial arrangement and levels go.

The Bad; your snare and drums lack impact, power and depth. Check you bass guitar and bring it into the mix to fatten things up a bit. The reverb on the main vocals is a bit apparent and seems to be in a separate room from the rest of the band. Try sending it to an Aux and blending it in with the dry signal till you get it perfect. You can even try to set up a global reverb buss and send a little bit from every instrument to it to help glue the mix together.

The Ugly; You should listen to the bands mix and you'll notice that the lead vocals and guitars that you imported into your mix are not in sync with the song. Everyone who mixes this song has this issue and for overall tightness you need to put those tracks where they belong in the mix.

Finally, I had a rough time with this mix because there is a lot of masking frequencies to contend with and finding a balance for everything is difficult and time consuming. Keep trying and you'll get there. I just uploaded the third mix of this song on my thread and I feel that its close for now, but I'll probably find something that I need to change later.

Hope this helps give you some useful ideas.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, this was only a rough fader mix with a small bit of EQ and compression, so I do agree with you on a lot of what you have said.

- I will try bringing the bass up some more.
- As far as the reverb goes, I do have a delay on a separate aux that is being fed from a send on the LV sub. I will bring that down a bit to fit better in the mix. I have not added time based effects to the other instruments yet, that is soon to come.
-I did sync up the guitars to where I thought they were supposed to be, but after going back and listening to the original I do hear that I put the bridge guitars in the wrong spot. I thought they were supposed to enter on beat 2, but the original has them on the downbeats. That will be an easy fix.

Thank you for the feedback, I will be sure to head over and listen to your take on the song as well.
great mix! i would back down the kick and bring up the vocals a bit. maybe try to get the drums to sit a little deeper in the mix (they sound great and tight though).
To be a rough mix it sounds very good. Would be interesting to hear it with some mastering as well.

/C