Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls With Glasses
Here's my mix. As usual, comments and advice to improve it will be appreciated!

.mp3    Oak Team - Girl With Glasses.mp3 --  (Download: 6.73 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Balances feel pretty good, and sound is coherent.

I like the natural vox sound.

Snare sound bothers me. It’s somehow liveless and dominates at the same time. Is it too thick among other instruments? Or does it have too big role?

Automate some fills. For example aroun 0:33 guitar on the right.
Sounds balanced ,can hear a little clipping on the kick in the low frequencies.
I think I tried this one a couple of years ago and gave up.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

thank you for your comments, guys

paying attention to the snare, yes... it was way too fat. So now I think it sounds better. I've also automated some more a few instruments.

I don't know about the kick clipping, Don. I've checked it out but I don't get to hear it, so I've left it the way it was. But anyway, thank you for your help as always (there are still many things that I can't hear Confused)

.mp3    Oak Team - Girl With Glasses(2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.73 MB)

mixing since April 2013
It's better now.
Maybe one small problem is that kick feels pretty modern and at the same time the snare is dominantly 60's or deeply retro. Kick is also maybe all over, without specific own area among others, or too loud. Sorry for unclear comments...
If I try this someday, I might go towards 60's Bob Dylan. Something like "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again", but not with that 60's stereo. And now that I get that Nobel idea, I guess I just have try this song.
I noticed the problem with the kick yesterday short time I posted it. But it was too late for a change so I decided to work a little bit more on it today in the morning.

Here is the mix now with a better kick and an attempt to make the snare more modern.

.mp3    Oak Team - Girl With Glasses(3).mp3 --  (Download: 6.73 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Like it, clearly better now.
But I think there's still a too much energy around 50 hz. Check with meters, and you'll notice it that it's much higher than low mids. Also low toms has maybe a bit too much low energy.