Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Apprehended: Still Flyin (mgetz mix)
Went for a third edit. Much better guitar tone and snare sound. Creamy overheads with aggressive shells. I also tried to marry the bass a bit more to the guitars.

Vocals could have been more Joey Sturgis-esque, but I'm not super great at this genre and I'm still away from my monitors. Basic eq on them and then rammed into a compressor.

Let me know what you think!

.mp3    Still Flying3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.68 MB)

.mp3    Still Flying3 - No Vocal.mp3 --  (Download: 10.68 MB)

I like the room tone on the snare. Sounds cool and does something nice for the mix. I can see how it stands out maybe too much, specially during the quiet section of the song. The bass also plays a little more during that quiet section, and I think it would sound cool for the notes to pop out more there.

Maybe its cause i'm a guitarist, but I think the guitars, both leads and rhythms can come up in volume.

Sounding great though.
(21-10-2016, 02:03 AM)Friggy Wrote: I like the room tone on the snare. Sounds cool and does something nice for the mix. I can see how it stands out maybe too much, specially during the quiet section of the song. The bass also plays a little more during that quiet section, and I think it would sound cool for the notes to pop out more there.

Maybe its cause i'm a guitarist, but I think the guitars, both leads and rhythms can come up in volume.

Sounding great though.

I agree that the rhythms could come up. But I think the actual issue is that the kick is just decimating them. I did this mix on my headphones and had very little idea of what the heck the low end was doing. The amount of oomph to the kick is good, but I need a bit **slower** release on the kick compressor to catch some of that wild low boom.

**thanks for the catch there loupi**
great mix! think your kick sounds great to me, maybe just bring it down a couple of db? (if you would like to catch the boom i think you maybe will have to go for a slower release, to include more of the boom in the compressed signal)
I think this is a great mix. The best I heard so far. You have really got a clear sound, the snare is sharp and the guitars are great. Vocals great also. Couldn't really find anything to complain about. Well done. :-)

/C