Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voi Che Sapete - Olli H
I had no clue what to do. I listened some Kari Mattila and didn't become any wiser. Then I just decided to think that this is just music just like any other music. Then it was easier.

So first of all, I wanted to have 5 meters safety distance to singer.
But focus should be all the time in the vox.
Then I tried to take care that vox is not moving in sound field too much. And lastly I tried to "automatically" automate piano fills, ie. I sidechained compressor so that small riffs and fills here and there would be a bit louder when the lady takes breath.

.mp3    opera-2016-10-19-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 5.72 MB)

I think you've achieved a very good ambience. I'm no expert in classical music, but at least, I didn't find any technical thing that distracted me. Maybe just the reverb tail was a little bit long for my taste, but that's something personal.
mixing since April 2013
THanks
I'm not surprised if the tail is too long. I'm currently testing variations of "Bonham snare reverb" to each and every possible and impossible place. So you'll hear too long tails in couple of more mixes from me, until I found some new dead ideas to test Smile BTW I bought a week ago SPL De-Verb ("Reduce Reverb & Room Tone Quickly & Easily") with 9 euros. I forgot that I bought it so haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I'll soon find some ways to abuse it.
let me know if it's good. I'm sure it will be very useful!!
mixing since April 2013
Also not being an expert in this type of music and listening in a non critical environment, I think what you have done works quite well. There is a great sense of contained space around the performance, most noticeable with the piano and the vocal that I like. This makes it easy and somewhat natural for me to visualize the performance as I'm listening.

Dave
Good mix Olli, the ambiance is really fitting for this track! Big Grin The only thing I can say is that even though you're not doing much compression, it's really noticeable and does tend to add a harshness to the sound. What are you using in the way of compression in your mix, to me it sounds like an 1176 or a fairly aggressive VCA style compressor which maybe the culprit of the harshness in the mix. I had a similar problem when I was mastering my mix of All the Gin is Gone and ended up scrapping the overall buss compressor on that mix and using mild saturation and tape emulations as my dynamic control.

At the end of the day, automating the level of the piano by hand would yield a smoother sounding result overall.

Cheers, and hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thanks all,

I used only parallel compression which comes in a bit louder when lady stops singing. So compression shouldn’t be eating transients, it should only add a bit more sustain to that piano which sounded like an acoustic guitar with old strings: the sound died out too soon. Maybe it is a real cool vintage piano.

From the point of view of references that I checked from spotify, I found that for some reason in this genre they tend to make things bit darker than ”normal” music. Just for the sake of training my ears I tried to follow that dark path.
(19-10-2016, 04:54 PM)Olli H Wrote: So first of all, I wanted to have 5 meters safety distance to singer.
But focus should be all the time in the vox.
Then I tried to take care that vox is not moving in sound field too much. And lastly I tried to "automatically" automate piano fills, ie. I sidechained compressor so that small riffs and fills here and there would be a bit louder when the lady takes breath.

The piano sounds good.

For some reason the vocal didn't quite grab me as much on this version vs. a few of the others -- although it's still good (and I can't quite say what's giving me that slight impression, and its only very slight!)

Overall, a pleasure to listen to.

Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
I like the way you are going with this. I just think it sounds a bit too processed. For example the piano sounds really unnatural in the way that the low notes stick out (I actually like it but i think it is a bit too much). The reverb tail is maybe a bit too long but the track could work with some more reverb but with just a shorter tail.