Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp
(19-10-2016, 05:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Nice mix! Overall sound very pleasant

Some minor things came to my mind
- your room is pretty dry - nothing bad with that - but some tail could be nice to hear in those small stops (0:01, 0:03, 0:05). Now the sound dies away unnaturally in too dead room.
- snare chost notes cannot be heard well enough as overheads didn’t capture them. For example, listen the first piano solo. It’s full of small things what drummer do.
- trumpet solo could be louder. Listen the transition from piano to trumpet around 1:04. Typically trumpet is not so shy.

Thanks Olli!

The reason you can't hear the ghost notes is that I actually automated the drums down during the solo bits, those overheads captured a lot of detail than you think. If this were a rock or metal track I would've added the close mics but this track really lends the drums to being more room heavy and distant. Adding close mics does improve the clarity of the ghost notes yes, but also takes away the subtly of them, the idea of being there but not there at the same time.

I agree with you on the trumpet, the sax also needs to be brought down abit as well I think.

The room sound is pretty dead, I did use a reverb on everything however. It was from an impulse off of a TC Electronic unit that I got from the Pensadia Free Impulse bundle from David Glenn Recording called Drum Room Expander. The idea is that it just adds some air around the tracks with a small tail. It's blended in pretty subtly now but I could totally get away with more, really for this more vintage style of Jazz, the 60's era, most records were pretty dry sounding. Have a listen to A Song for my Father by Horace Silver, Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins, and Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus, those records are super dry sounding which is more or less the sound I was going for.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 18-10-2016, 02:05 PM
RE: All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp - by loupi - 18-10-2016, 05:15 PM
RE: All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp - by Olli H - 19-10-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp - by dcp10200 - 19-10-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: All the Gin is Gone mixed by Dcp - by Olli H - 20-10-2016, 09:18 AM