Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All the gin is gone
the goal was clarity but with vibe, strong horns and a coherent rhythm-section. i cut away some piano-accompaniment to bring out the horn-solo's a bit more and to give a little more edge to the whole song (with all respect for the pianist). feedback very welcome!

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All the gin is gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

refined previous mix: drums in phase, cleaned up the low-end and used some impule response-preamps on horns, bass and piano. feedback welcome!

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet - All the gin is gone+.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

Great mix!

Nice modern jazz sound. I like the groove you’ve created. Space feels just fine

Intersting move to mute the piano in some parts. I’m not sure if the arranger would approve that, but anyhow it creates room for horns.

Bass feels better in this latter mix. Maybe you have less the low end in it.

Trombone might be still a bit too low heavy. Transition from sax to trombone has a feeling that space changes from bright to dark.

ALso the frequency balance of whole mix feelt to me much better in this latter mix. Now it has more modern klang to it.

Overall: very good to my ears.
thanks a lot! the transition from the sax to the trombone was meant to feel different, this is when the piano comes back and things get a little more mellow. i'm glad you prefer my second mix as it was an attempt to improve on the first one ;-)
(19-10-2016, 02:40 PM)loupi Wrote: refined previous mix: drums in phase, cleaned up the low-end and used some impule response-preamps on horns, bass and piano. feedback welcome!
Judging from a completely different perspective of course, I’m not into this kind of music at all.
The instrument mix I really like, a little to much presence to my taste though. And the reason for that IMO is the overwhelming room. To my ears this sounds to dark. But you really give the performance a nice juicy lift with the rest of the mix.
thx sg! there is indeed quite a lot of room, maybe a bit too much and with quite a lot of body, or low-end (dark) but i like the vibe it brings. the presence, as well quite a lot, you are right. i left it so it would not risk becoming what i would call 'wallpaper-jazz', something i am not into at all. for the same reason i cut away some of the piano-accompaniment, to make the solo's more of little statements and make the whole thing more edgy.
….I think from a producers point of view this is a clear decision, perfectly acceptable too. But……how about the client? If you’re in the position to always follow your intuition and taste then you really can enjoy what you’re doing.
Nice sound, LoupiSmile I like your choice of reverb. Well done!
It seems to me that the bass too quite compared to piano.
(21-10-2016, 10:34 AM)Konek Wrote: Nice sound, LoupiSmile I like your choice of reverb. Well done!
It seems to me that the bass too quite compared to piano.

thanks! yes, the bass could have done with 1 or 2 dB more.