Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour me Red mixed by Dcp
Another great sounding set of multis and a great song to boot! Can't say I listen to much Americana or Roots Rock so I ended up going in a more rock direction for this one.

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.64 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(17-10-2016, 10:13 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Another great sounding set of multis and a great song to boot! Can't say I listen to much Americana or Roots Rock so I ended up going in a more rock direction for this one.

Cheers,
Dcp

Great snap on this drum tracks. I love what you did with the arrangement leaving out bass and electric to build up intensity as you told me before. Excellent control and processing of the voices. I hear some slap back on the lead vox? Also the flangy chops of the guitars creates a lot of nice textures.Your mixes are consistently good.
(18-10-2016, 11:10 PM)javierpg84 Wrote:
(17-10-2016, 10:13 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Another great sounding set of multis and a great song to boot! Can't say I listen to much Americana or Roots Rock so I ended up going in a more rock direction for this one.

Cheers,
Dcp

Great snap on this drum tracks. I love what you did with the arrangement leaving out bass and electric to build up intensity as you told me before. Excellent control and processing of the voices. I hear some slap back on the lead vox? Also the flangy chops of the guitars creates a lot of nice textures.Your mixes are consistently good.
Thanks again for the kind words! I did take the bass out of the first verse but the electric guitar actually was left out of there already, really alot of the things in this mix were already present in the raw multis. Those stabs are from the Rhodes track, I just threw a Leslie cab emulation and amp sim on the DI Rhodes trak so it wasn't so muddy.

The vocals do have a slap delay on them, 166 ms is the exact time I used but I did also use a Plate style reverb on the lead vocal with a 146 ms Pre Delay time. According to Pete Woj at Mix Better Now on youtube this is a trick that Chris Lorde Alge uses along with a 1/4 note stereo delay to make his vocals pop in a mix. He generally uses a pre delay time of 156 ms and a 1.99 Second Decay time on his reverb but for this mix a smaller reverb seemed to work better and I canned the stereo delay. Really the biggest help

I've found when it comes to mixing is working on the multi tracks here and watching youtube tutorials mixing. I did also go to audio school, it was at a small community college in my area, they didn't have a huge amount of gear or a flashy studio like other bigger colleges do but it was more like what most people have in their homes, a computer, a Digidesign 003 Rack interface with some outboard preamps, an analog compressor, a small collection of mics, and a mid range drumkit, upright piano, and a small live room. To be honest recording there was challenging because the program was new and the school didn't put a lot of money into it but our instructors were able to show us how to work with what you've got and find other ways to make good sounding mixes with minimal/lower end gear, most of it had to do with mic technique, getting a solid performance recorded, and arrangement. Really if anything being forced to work with fairly heavy limitations in terms of gear and other factors can be just as effective in teaching you how to record and mix, because it forces you to make what you have work for you, not rely so much on expensive and esoteric pieces of gear.

Whelp, that was a longer responce than I was expecting to type! Glad you liked the mix and hopfully this makes some sences! Tongue

Cheers, and sorry for the rambling on Big Grin
Dcp

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
It always good reading your insights on mixing Dcp. I heard the slap trick from Chris in person at AES a few weeks ago in LA. He told us in the crowd those settings were similar to John Lenon's Instant Karma settings but less evident. The guy is a big fan of the Beatles. In regards to your education, it was great you could train using those resources. Back in the day they had less equipment in Motown and EMI and they produced timeless records with a set of a few mics, 4 tracks or 8 tracks in fancy places. Best ingredient, talented performers and good engineering. I totally agree with you on that. Thankfully we have people like Mike that help us to practice and learn. I highly recommend both of his books, specially the new recording secrets one. I am reading it now and its full of jewels of knowledge.
Sorry for the long reply. Its always nice find peers passionate about audio.
Cheers
Hi Dcp.
I like your Mix ,Nice punchy snare and kick, Maybe the vocals drums ,bass could be a touch fuller below 200hz ?

Gods solid mix just some thoughts while having a listen .

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(19-10-2016, 10:38 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dcp.
I like your Mix ,Nice punchy snare and kick, Maybe the vocals drums ,bass could be a touch fuller below 200hz ?

Gods solid mix just some thoughts while having a listen .

Well Done Big Grin

Thanks Don! I noticed the bass was a little on the thin side as well, it maybe because I used the Mic 1 amp track as my low end and the DI as my distorted high end. With this version I used the mi 2 amp track and lowered the level of the DI track to give it some girth and used a sidechain compressor to keep the bass under wraps.

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.65 MB)

Last Upload sounded pretty much the same, this time I used the DI only with a cleaner sound and an Ampeg 8x10 cab impulse.

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.59 MB)

Here's a complete remix I did last night, I think the bass is at a better level now

.mp3    Colour me Red Master 3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.54 MB)

Dude what are you doing? The first one kicks ass! Personal taste i know..i like the punchier drums...what can i say..peace man!
(21-10-2016, 01:18 AM)LupoPazzo Wrote: Dude what are you doing? The first one kicks ass! Personal taste i know..i like the punchier drums...what can i say..peace man!

I agree with you, mostly I wanted a fuller bass sound but no matter what I try it seems to just fall flat. I think I'm just throwing way too much at it now in terms of processing and it's making it worse. Blush

Thanks for the comments,
Dcp