Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet 'All The Gin Is Gone'
My mix of Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet 'All The Gin Is Gone'.
Things I found by mixing this song:
1- Despite of a very good recording, phase correlation and alignment always needs to be checked. I aligned the bass tracks, kicks, snare, toms and the two piano tracks.
2- I noticed that the overheads had the snare shifted to one side (right side, if I remembered right). I centered it with stereo pan pods because I wanted more snare adding instead of shifting to a side. The OHs were panned in audience perspective and I followed this with the close up mic tracks.
3- The drums are clipping by the end of the song, specifically the last two beats. I had to lower those beats by trimming down the gain.
4- I didn't like a resonance of the snare in the 400Hz and 750Hz. Two EQ cuts of 5db did the trick for me.
5- Filtering all the tracks with a HP filter at 40 or 80Hz can help to clear lower energy rumble and focus the bass sounds.
6-I did not compress too much. Maybe 1 to 3 db of compression in the loudest parts. I wanted to preserve dynamics in this jazz theme.
7- and final, by mixing using K20 and just adding 3db of loudness to make the track average 15 dbRMS I was able to get it to sound full and dynamic.

Feel free to share your experiences while mixing this amazing song. Thanks to Mike Senior and the musicians for sharing this track for our learning.
Cheers,

.mp3    Maurizio Pagnutti Sextet \'All The Gin Is Gone\'.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

.mp3    All The Gin Is Gone v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

A lovely dynamic sound javierpg84,

Really like the softness but also the balance and presence. Great overall loudness,

This is a sound that I think I would aim for.

Well Done

Dave
Thank you Dave! I am looking forward to exchange ideas with you about mixing. Lets keep in touch.
Cheers
nice mix but maybe a bit flat (as opposed to deep). i like my jazz dirty-sounding. great clarity of the snare!