Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone'
(27-11-2016, 06:59 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(16-10-2016, 03:45 AM)thedon Wrote: Here is Version 1 of this cool song,
Didn't have to do much as tracks are well recorded.
Just some eq on the guitars to tame some upper mid frequencies mainly to suit my taste.
Inverted the Phase on the snare down and drum room tracks and tamed a little boxyness from kick mic 2.
Tamed some resonance on the bass guitar at 158hz.
Only used compression la2a la3a for some extra colour to taste.

Cheers Big Grin

------------
Yo Don,

Love your mix man! You said in my post you thought it was too wet? I don't think so. Your guitars sound much better than mine in the mix.....yours are much warmer.....got some shrillness on my gtrs. Only thing is the last gtr solo should be louder, but otherwise you should leave the mix as is....nice warmth to it.....drums sound awesome....oh, just widen out the organ solo too....love to hear that leslie sound swirling around.......ahhhhhhhhhhh that classic Hammond sound.

Tom
Thanks for having a listen and kind words Tommy, will work on the guitar solo and organ, one day I will find a classic leslie speaker on ebay or even better find one in a second hand junk store or on the side of the road .

Thanks
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(28-11-2016, 09:28 AM)thedon Wrote:
Just some eq on the guitars to tame some upper mid frequencies mainly to suit my taste.
Inverted the Phase on the snare down and drum room tracks and tamed a little boxyness from kick mic 2.

Cheers Big Grin

------------
Yo Don,

Love your mix man! You said in my post you thought it was too wet? I don't think so. Your guitars sound much better than mine in the mix.....yours are much warmer.....got some shrillness on my gtrs. Only thing is the last gtr solo should be louder, but otherwise you should leave the mix as is....nice warmth to it.....drums sound awesome....oh, just widen out the organ solo too....love to hear that leslie sound swirling around.......ahhhhhhhhhhh that classic Hammond sound.

Tom
Thanks for having a listen and kind words Tommy, will work on the guitar solo and organ, one day I will find a classic leslie speaker on ebay or even better find one in a second hand junk store or on the side of the road .

Thanks
Don

-----------------

"or on the side of the road"....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had me on the floor Don!!!!!!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(29-11-2016, 01:35 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(28-11-2016, 09:28 AM)thedon Wrote:

Cheers Big Grin

------------
Yo Don,

Tom

Thanks
Don

-----------------

"or on the side of the road"....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had me on the floor Don!!!!!!

Tom

LoLBig Grin

Hey Don,

Love love love the tone on that main guitar riff. The bass, snare,kick are working nicely together too. very groovey Cool

Agree about the tracks, they are beautifully recorded and don't need a whole lotta love to knock into shape.

I mentioned in another thread that i'm not 100% sold on EG1 going down the middle....I feel that it creates more problems than it solves. I think your take on it works a bit better though because of the lovely warm tones you have developed.

But...... you've had to turn the guitar solo extravaganza down to get away with it....not sure I'd be a happy lead guitarist listening having played a blistering 2 minute solo. Another slight downside is that you only really get stereo width from your OHs.

I heard another mix with solo out wide on RHS and it sounded fine so that could work well with current balance plus you could always automate EG2 up into the mix to balance against solo and give you some real stereo width.

That said, i really did like listening to your mix, so well done.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(09-12-2016, 03:37 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Don,

Love love love the tone on that main guitar riff. The bass, snare,kick are working nicely together too. very groovey Cool

Agree about the tracks, they are beautifully recorded and don't need a whole lotta love to knock into shape.

I mentioned in another thread that i'm not 100% sold on EG1 going down the middle....I feel that it creates more problems than it solves. I think your take on it works a bit better though because of the lovely warm tones you have developed.

But...... you've had to turn the guitar solo extravaganza down to get away with it....not sure I'd be a happy lead guitarist listening having played a blistering 2 minute solo. Another slight downside is that you only really get stereo width from your OHs.

I heard another mix with solo out wide on RHS and it sounded fine so that could work well with current balance plus you could always automate EG2 up into the mix to balance against solo and give you some real stereo width.

That said, i really did like listening to your mix, so well done.

Cheers, Simon
Hey Simon,
Thanks for having a listen and will have another shot based on your feedback which I agree .
Cheers Big Grin

Hi Don !

As usual, you achieved a nice mix !

Two little things I would change : hats and cymbals are a bit harsh, and I would love to hear more attack to the kick Smile
Your mix is very centered, but those rhythm guitars are quite hard to pan since it creates an massive void between sides and center.

Great job hear !
(30-12-2016, 01:58 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi Don !

As usual, you achieved a nice mix !

Two little things I would change : hats and cymbals are a bit harsh, and I would love to hear more attack to the kick Smile
Your mix is very centered, but those rhythm guitars are quite hard to pan since it creates an massive void between sides and center.

Great job hear !
Thanks for having a listen ,will work on the drums and especially the guitars and phase issues.
Cheers Big Grin