Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the Gin is Gone Mix
This sounded pretty good already so I experimented with the placement within the stereo field and worked on the reverb.
Thanks to Mike and the band.
Mixed with (paid for) Reaper and all free plugins.

.mp3    All the Gin is Gone.mp3 --  (Download: 5.27 MB)

I like the fact that you didn’t process too much these sound.

Balances feeld just right to me.

But I think the instrument sounds could be a bit more defined. Now for example the piano is behind some sort of smoggy veil.

Also the low end is a bit undefined, maybe there’s too much stereo information there.
Jazz usually doesn't need much processing if it's recorded well, which this track was. As for the piano, I may have overdone the stereo widening. The upright bass is pretty much the only thing going on in the low frequencies, since the drummer doesn't hit the kick very often.
Another thing is that the MP3 rendering seems to add more low end and fuzziness than I intend. Too bad we can't upload FLAC files, but I understand the storage limitations issues.
Thanks for your feedback, Olli H.
Hello MrGroove, Quite the appropriate name for this tune.Cool

I tend to agree with Olli and his comments. Listening is a less than ideal environment with rain pelting down on the roof, I am struggling to hear the instruments over the rhythm section. Maybe just a level thing.

Otherwise I really like your tonal balance.

Dave
Nice tone and spaceSmile
Piano slightly in the distance, it's reduce the energy of the mix, in my opinion.
Cheers!
By popular demand, I went back and polished this up by bringing the piano track in a bit in the stereo field, tightening up the bass, and adding a wee more brightness to the horns.
I'm currently mixing only with headphones, so any input helps me adjust accordingly.

.mp3    All the Gin is Gone 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.32 MB)

It's better for my taste.
If you don't have monitors, try to control mix on laptop or cheap tape recorder. Also useful to mix it at low volume for comparison.