Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Happy Blues" for sure
Another "on the road" laptop headphone mix. I'm looking forward to opening the door to the studio again.
Thanks for sharing this one Tommy. Great fun to mix and in touch with what I like to work and play with as far as style and ingredients go.

I used Bondi Cigars album "Mercy" as my reference choice for this one. A sound and attitude I really enjoy.

Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    TommyMarcinek_HappyBlues Dangerous Style.mp3 --  (Download: 4.9 MB)

.mp3    TommyMarcinek_HappyBlues Dangerous Style#2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.9 MB)

Balances just fine to me. I like the loud organ.

Something bothers me with space. Organ and guitar in the sides create a nice strong energy to the sides, but the snare in the middle feels a bit small enrgywise. I don’t mean that the level should be higher, but it has to do with space. As if the sides have studiosound but the middle homestudio sound.
(11-10-2016, 02:19 PM)Olli H Wrote: Balances just fine to me. I like the loud organ.

Something bothers me with space. Organ and guitar in the sides create a nice strong energy to the sides, but the snare in the middle feels a bit small enrgywise. I don’t mean that the level should be higher, but it has to do with space. As if the sides have studiosound but the middle homestudio sound.

An interesting observation, as I find judging space, ambience and placement really difficult mixing through headphones. I find that often the centre channel in good reference material that I listen to can sound a little hollow and spread out through my headphones so I find it a real balancing act trying to replicate the same sound stage and stereo image. You are correct with the snare as I reduced it and it's reverb down to mono to try and strengthen it and nail it down. I might try to add some width back into the chain and see if I can marry it back into the performance and try and get the balance right.

Thanks for your helpSmile

Dave
I have uploaded mix#2 with hopefully some improvements. I had tried to make the snare sit in the mix a bit better with some extra width and attack. I have also removed a little mud from the main organ part and have made a slight master bus compressor adjustment to help with some of the details.
good balance, maybe the guitar is fighting with the vocals a little bit in some section of the song, but just a liiittle

good work!
(14-10-2016, 04:07 PM)lupulus Wrote: good balance, maybe the guitar is fighting with the vocals a little bit in some section of the song, but just a liiittle

good work!

Thanks, lupulus. Good observation with the guitar and you are probably correct. The forceful use of the guitar was in keeping with my reference material. And although I do like it's front and centre stance, it could be refined a bit better around the vocal performance.

Cheers...
(11-10-2016, 01:10 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Another "on the road" laptop headphone mix. I'm looking forward to opening the door to the studio again.
Thanks for sharing this one Tommy. Great fun to mix and in touch with what I like to work and play with as far as style and ingredients go.

I used Bondi Cigars album "Mercy" as my reference choice for this one. A sound and attitude I really enjoy.

Thanks for listening

Dave

----------------
Dave,

Nice work, man! #2 version rocks! I love the way you did my vocal.....nice an up front and even. Love the way you effected the gtr solo and organ solo. Love the space you created. Nice job!!!!!!

Thanks for mixing my song!!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(09-11-2016, 01:25 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 01:10 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Another "on the road" laptop headphone mix. I'm looking forward to opening the door to the studio again.

Thanks for listening

Dave

----------------
Dave,

Nice work, man! #2 version rocks! I love the way you did my vocal.....nice an up front and even. Love the way you effected the gtr solo and organ solo. Love the space you created. Nice job!!!!!!

Thanks for mixing my song!!

Tom

The pleasures all mine Tom! Thanks for checking it out.

Very much appreciate your contribution and love your work.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Dave